Were there ever problems with people rejecting trades simply because they didn't want to see a strong team get stronger?

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that that is what would happen.

But like I said before, about the trade between DB and CC....

You could make a legitimate argument that it's fair, especially if CC believes that Contreras and Pettitte are both about to start heading in the opposite direction.

So in my mind, that makes it unfair to vote against it.

Yet you said you would veto it because you think it's lopsided, and I would vote against it simply because I wouldn't want to see DB's team get any stronger.

Even if the advantage in a trade is tiny, why should I vote to allow a trade that makes the teams which I consider the strongest competition any stronger? Why should anyone for that matter?

How to handle this is certainly a problem, and I'm really not sure that there is a practical solution, unless we have a non-playing commissioner.

And even in that case, if his judgement is wrong he could cost someone the whole game.

What happens (also as I said before) if the trade is dis-allowed and Pettitte proceeds to go 16-4 the rest of the way and Contreras goes 7-12, and Ibanez or Drew (or both) go .320, 30, 100 the rest of the way while Berkman (injured now, BTW) goes .260, 10, 50?

"Difficult....not impossible"