Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:
take the arguably #1 closer Mariano Rivera with his 7 wins and 43 saves, and compare it to some of the better set-up men. The numbers will probably surprise you.
Rivera had 294 points last year.

The top set-up men were:

Dutscherrer (222)
Linebrink (213)
Politte (2019)
Howry (190)

What's wrong with that?

Rivera had anywhere from about 30% to 50% more points than the top set-up men.

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Lou:
The RP values are off the wall. A "save" has a net value of only 2 points, and a closer is starting the inning off in a -6 hole.
A save should have a net value of only +2.

A closer who doesn't save at least 80% of his opportunities is basically worthless, since the league average is way above that.

If a guy saves 50% of his games, he winds up with a net in the minus column, which is how it should be.

If a guy saves 75% of his games - way below the league average - he winds up with a net of zero, which is about what he's worth, since he's way below the league average.

SPs are different. A SP who goes 12-12 has much more value than a closer who saves 12 games and blows 12 saves, doesn't he?

And how do you figure a closer starts off in a -6 hole?

Because he's starting off with a "save opportunity"?

Well, yeah, but if he does his job that -6 becomes a +2.

He's only stuck with the -6 if he doesn't do his job, in which case he deserves the -6.

It's not like he has to do something special to get rid of the -6.

What I would have done if I had the option of doing so, was assign a negative value to "blown saves".

I would have made a save worth, say +2, and a blown save worth, say, -5.

So a guy like Rivera, who saved 43 of 47 would have wound up with a net of about +66, and a guy like Looper, who saved a putrid 28 of 36, would have been only +16.

But since Yahoo didn't have the option of making "blown saves" a stat category, this was the only way of creating an equation to allow for blown saves.

But if they did, I would have given a blown save a negative value and the effect would have been exactly the same and you couldn't say that a closer enters the game in a -6 hole.

That, I think, is the fallacy in your reasoning/

"Difficult....not impossible"