Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

I'd go with the ESPN salary cap game scoring system, since it's the one that most of us are the most familiar with, so we'll have the best frame of reference for the values of the players (The Yahoo rating system is misleading, since it is based on Roto scoring, so all other things being equal, for example, if one guy has 40 homers and no stolen bases, and another guy has 40 SBs and no HRs, they'd be rated equally).

Since we'd only credit starting pitchers for their work, and not the subsequent work of their relievers, I think it would tend to devalue starting pitching a bit, which is something that I think we've always thought to be desirable in the ESPN game, where pitching accounts ofr a one-third of your points.

I'd also maybe eliminate the 5 point bonus for a win, or at least reduce it, which devalue pitching a bit more.

That would make a top offensive player, like Pujols, who averages maybe 4.5 points a day, a little more valuable than a pitcher like Santana, who may average about 18 points per game, but only plays once every five days, which, I think, is how it should be.

If a pitcher has a great game, you'll get enough points without the five extra, and this will eliminate the extra five points for games in which a pitcher gets bombed but gets a win anyway.

I would also add a +1 for batters being hiy by a pitch, and make that a -1 for pitchers who hit them.

"Difficult....not impossible"