Originally posted by Patrick:
vhs's have widescreen format and i've never had a VHS go "blurry." when you get a movie that was released the year it came out or before, it's considered the original. it has more value then a dvd released 6 or 7 years later. dvd's didn't come around until 1999 or 2000.
Yes, there are some VHS movies that are available in widescreen, but that's a very, very, very small minority of them. For DVD they are considered standard. Tapes do go blurry. The actual "tape" in the tape goes through rollers and is wound and re-wound every time you watch it. The quality will obviously deteriorate over the life of the tape. I have some tapes that I bought in the mid-90s that look like hell. Especially if you watch one scene over and over again. That section of the tape will deteriorate quicker than others. With DVD, it's a laser reading the grooves, so nothing on the DVD is actually getting touched.

As for VHS being original, just because it was released in the same year, I wouldn't consider it original. If it's in full screen and up to 40% of the picture is chopped off, that is not original. Why do you think they have that message saying that the movie has been formatted to fit the screen. If they had to format it, then it's not the original version of the movie. Also, you can't get stereo sound with a VHS, but you can on DVD.

There is really nothing better about VHS except that it's way cheaper in the stores.