SB, I thought I understood your Yankee situation until I tried to figure out how to explain it to you...then I realized I didn't know. I found this quote in another MLB article, and it seems to make sense:

Quote:
Yankees win the title
Saturday's win gave the Yankees a 10-8 edge in the head-to-head matchup, which is the first tiebreaker if the Red Sox were to win on Sunday. Since New York would finish with a 10-9 record against Boston in that scenario, both teams would have identical records with the Yankees winning on the first tiebreaker.

But more importantly, the Indians' loss prevented a potential three-way tie between New York, Boston and Cleveland, which would have set up a pair of one-game playoffs to decide the AL East and Wild Card winners.
So, from what I understand, even if Boston wins today and ties it up with NY, the Yanks are still awarded the division because of their season record against Boston. Boston then is fighting for their Wild Card spot against Cleveland.

As for us, you might've heard that we've clinched a Wild Card tie, because going into today, that's the worst we could do. It's the same situation as with Boston and Cleveland. If we lose, and Philly wins, we have a one-game playoff in Philly, but in any other situation, we'll clinch.

I'm praying...