I have to go on ESPN to read news about Brooks Robinson's 50th anniversary of being in baseball. They have nothing about it on the news here. How disrespectful is that? We can hear about T.O.' arrogance and Raffy's steriods until the cows come home, but good news like this doens't even get a 90 spot on the news. Brooks was always one of my favorite players. A great athlete, and even better person. WTG Brooksy!

Robinson reflects on golden anniversary
Orioles icon debuted on Sept. 17, 1955
By Gary Washburn / MLB.com

BALTIMORE -- Brooks Robinson is constantly reminded of his greatness and impact on the game of baseball. And sometimes he has to be because his playing days are a distant memory in his eyes.
Saturday will mark 50 years since Baltimore's greatest third baseman and city icon broke into the Major Leagues. Robinson was introduced to the baseball landscape on Sept. 17, 1955 when he was called up from playing in the Minor Leagues in York, Pa. And 28 years after finishing up an amazing career, the humble Robinson has a hard time believing his previous life.

"Sometimes, it's hard to believe I even played, it's been so long," he said. "And then somebody will watch a highlight and say, 'That's a "Brooks Robinson" play' and I say, 'I guess I did play.' It's something that's still like a dream to me, but I am so glad I was able to play the game."

An 18-year-old Robinson signed a $4,000 Major League contract with the Orioles just days after graduating high school in Little Rock, Ark. And he transformed that contract into a Hall of Fame career and took the Orioles from a struggling franchise in a football town to the class of the Major Leagues in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Robinson played six games during the 1955 season. In his debut, he went 2-for-4 in a 3-1 win over the Washington Senators at Memorial Stadium. With two hits in his first Major League game, an 18-year-old Robinson thought this pro-ball thing was easy.

"Hey, I thought I had it made," he said. "Two hits? Man, this was great. But I found out differently."

Robinson did not record another hit that season, going 0-for-18 with 10 strikeouts. It would be a while before Robinson would be a superstar.

He spent most of 1956 and '57 in the Minor Leagues before playing his first full season in 1958, hitting .238 with three homers and 32 RBIs. After serving an Army obligation in the Arkansas National Guard, Robinson returned to the Majors full-time in 1960 and emerged as a standout player.

"Going back to the Minors was the greatest thing to ever happen to me," he said. "I was a stronger hitter, better hitter and a better player. I am glad I wasn't rushed because it might have affected me in the long term."

It was Camelot for Robinson in those years. He was the leader of the Orioles as they were ascending as an American League power. Meanwhile, the Baltimore Colts were playing on Sundays in the same stadium, led by the legendary Johnny Unitas. The significance of those times on the Baltimore sports landscape is not lost on Robinson, even 40 years later.

"It was the best of times," he said. "I got married in 1960 and my wife and I decided this was the best way for us to live -- in Baltimore. This was the best of times for me. I finally established myself as a Major League player."

Robinson made the All-Star team in 1960 and cemented himself as one of the league's top third basemen. And the Orioles shook off their also-ran tag and pushed the rival Yankees in the AL. And he took home the AL MVP award in 1964.

Before Cal Ripken Jr., Robinson personified the franchise. His workmanlike style and mastery of third base set the standard for the position. A 23-year career has been narrowed down to one single series burned into the baseball consciousness. Just as Ripken is remembered for playing in 2,131 consecutive games or grabbing the final out of the 1983 World Series, Robinson is lauded for his stellar play at third base during the 1970 World Series against the Cincinnati Reds.

Offensively, he was 9 for 21 with two homers as the Orioles won their second championship in five years. But images of Robinson, eye-black painted on, robbing Lee May and Johnny Bench of doubles in the blazing Cincinnati sun is what most fans remember. And he has no problem with that.

"It was a strange series," Robinson said. "I played almost a little over 20 years, never had five games in a row like that. You never figured you'd do something spectacular like that. That was the highlight of my career."

That would be the final World Series championship of Robinson's career. But the Orioles would make the playoffs three more times, losing the World Series in seven games in 1971 and losing in the ALCS to Oakland in 1973 and '74.

After years of holding down third base, Robinson gave way to 25-year-old prospect Doug DeCinces. At age 40, Robinson expressed interest in playing for the expansion clubs in Toronto and Seattle, but received no interest. So he retired during the 1977 season and eventually spent 16 years as a broadcaster.

Robinson said he is proud of the titles, the 2,800-plus hits and the 16 Gold Gloves, but he is most satisfied with the longevity. After Boston's Carl Yastrzemski, Robinson spent the longest stretch with one club -- 22 years -- in Major League history.

"The thing that sticks out in my mind is the number of games that I played," he said. "I think my love for the game, [I] stuck to it and worked hard and came back and did my best. That makes me feel good."

Like Ripken after him, Robinson was identified by his desire for the game. He is still involved in baseball as a member of a group that builds Minor League ballparks. He makes occasional appearances at Oriole functions, and a half-century after his debut he still thrills middle-aged men by giving them tips at fantasy camps.

"Sometimes it's still hard to believe," he said. "But it was a great time and I had a lot of fun during my career. Sometimes when I go to the Hall of Fame, I just check to see if my plaque is still there."

It's not going anywhere Brooks.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.