Originally posted by Almammater:
"weird weird weird" to quote Pherdy. What have they done to the US DVD version ??? confused

I can only speak for the French DVD which has English and French subtitles. I've checked both the French version and the French subtitles and they differ slightly but the first sentence is not missing :

- said : "J'ai confiance en l'Amérique. L'Amérique, elle a fait ma fortune."

- subtitles : "J'ai confiance en l'Amérique. L'Amérique a fait ma fortune."

What is weird for me in the French version is that the cannoli became canneloni eek which is absolutely ridiculous !!! I first saw GF on French TV when I was a kid and that's the thg that upset me the most ! Not the killings or Sonny's fits of anger but the canneloni !!! [Linked Image] So the famous line, "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" became "Laisse le flingue et prend les canneloni" rolleyes

And many years later I was very surprised to learn that Coppola himself had supervised the French version, how could he have missed that ??? confused
May be that's just how the French call the cannoli: Canneloni. After all, Fettucine as called in America, is called Tagliatelle in France and Belgium. And i watch a lot of French movies and they are usually accurate in their translation and subtitles; except for a few alteration here and there so the word could make sense in French. But i doubt that it would be a mistake.

"The end justifies the means"