Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sicilia:
klydon1 - Just wondering, why do you think the union cares that it's the Yankees picking up the lion's share of his contract (versus any other team looking to trade for him)? I would have figured that the Union won't care, just as long as ARod's paid what's owed.
ARod was all set a few years ago to be traded to Boston after agreeing to restructure his deal in a way that would decrease his compensation from the $25 million per year. The PA stepped in and prevented any devaluation of the original contract because of the potentially harmful precedent it might set. Accordingly, the deal was nixed, and he ended up in NY receiving full salary.

I believe that they will take the same stand again. As such, I don't think there is any team out there willing to pay ARod close to the $25 million, seeing how that contract was an albatross around the neck of the Rangers for the years he was there. Accordingly, if the Yankees move ARod and the PA makes sure there's no contract devaluation, the Yankees will be stuck with paying a big chunk of the contract.

A year ago, his market value was higher. After this season (although his stats were very good), I think there are some concerns about his defense and other areas that bring his value to a team down.