Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:

My beef with Torre is that he does NOT manage small ball. He sits back and relies on the long ball everytime he has runners on base. He needs to manufacture runs once in a while instead of always relying on the longball.

It surprises me that some of the Yankee fans and sports writers are so bitter about the team getting knocked off that they've even went as far as blaming Derek Jeter for not supporting Arod!! That's outrageous!

Don Cardi
That's right. I remember when NY won the Series in '96, many commented that Torre (a career National Leaguer) brought NL baseball to the Yankees. Stolen bases, hit and runs, bunts, sacrifices, etc. It was also widely said that that team was ateam without superstars.

Once they filled the lineup with big superstar names, they lost that element. Giambi won't bunt; Rodriguez won't go to right to advance a runner; and Sheffield swings for the fences thinking if he doesn't connect, someone else will get the runs in. I have little doubt that the '96 team would likely sweep the '06 collection of stars.

With respect to Jeter and A-Rod, it is obvious that there is discord, probably stemming, in part, from A-Rod's dissing of Jeter in the Esquirearticle 6 or 7 years ago. If A-Rod needs more support than the $25 million he's getting, he should be shown the door.