I think Ortiz belittled himself a bit in campaigning for the MVP. That said, I wouldn't necessarily eliminate a DH from MVP contention even though I oppose the DH. Don Baylor won an MVP as a DH, so there is precedent.

Ortiz does deserve consideration, not only in the big numbers he's put up, but the numerous ninth inning heroics. I would lean, however, to Jermaine Dye right now for AL MVP.

You guys have raised some interesting MVP points. It is often said that preference should be given to players whose teams make the play-offs or compete late in the season for post-season; the point being that these players put up their numbers in "meaningful" games. I would suggest then that if this is so, then conversely the fact that the Mets are so far in front should weaken MVP arguments for Beltran. Certainly, the Mets would hold a comfortable lead with an average center fielder. Moreover, it could be said that the Mets' games from August on have not been that meaningful.

I would give the NL MVP nod to Ryan Howard, who took over the Phillies after they dealt Lidle, Abreu, Cormier, Franklin and Bell at the deadline and almost single handedly transformed them from a floundering club to a play-off contender. Plus, his numbers aren't too shabby.

Anyway, I've never been completely comfortable in penalizing great players in the balancing act between impressive statistics and overall team success.