Crosby designated for assignment

BALTIMORE -- Feeling uneasy with only 11 pitchers, the Yankees added Jose Veras to their bullpen before Friday's game, designating Bubba Crosby for assignment in the process.
"We tried this thing with 11 pitchers for a couple of days and I just wasn't comfortable," manager Joe Torre said. "I just felt we needed another arm based on the fact that when you get a game when you're way ahead or behind, you don't want to use or abuse [Scott] Proctor or [Kyle] Farnsworth or [Mariano Rivera].

"And you have Mike Myers, who you save for a man here and there, so you're really limited on who you have to go to down there. I just felt we needed another arm."

Proctor leads the American League in appearances (53) and innings pitched (66 1/3) among relievers. Farnsworth is second in appearances, one behind Proctor, and Rivera and Ron Villone rank fourth and fifth in the AL in innings, respectively.

"We certainly didn't think we were going to have a decision this soon, but the last couple of days have made me uncomfortable," Torre said.

Veras, who was recalled from Triple-A Columbus, has never pitched in the Majors before. New York purchased his contract in mid-June, but he did not appear in a game.

Designating Crosby was a "very tough" decision, Torre said. Crosby, who made the team's Opening Day roster, made 19 starts with the Yankees this season. He got 87 at-bats, hitting .207 with a homer and six RBIs.

"He becomes a luxury item," Torre said. "He can pinch-run for you; you put him out in center field."

The Yankees acquired Crosby in 2003 through a trade with the Dodgers. He split time in 2004 and '05 between Columbus and New York. Crosby did not talk to reporters before Friday's game.

"It's a one-way conversation. There's not a lot I can talk to him about," said Torre, who expressed that the need for another pitcher was a necessity that outweighed keeping Crosby. "Obviously, he had nothing to do with the decision as far as his lack of ability or anything. You couldn't use him."

Injuried Yanks

Injured Yanks: Robinson Cano made his second rehab start Friday, playing second base for Double-A Trenton. On Thursday, Cano went 2-for-5 as the designated hitter for the Gulf Coast League Yankees.

The All-Star has been out since June 27 with a strained left hamstring, which he suffered while running out a double. Torre expects to have Cano back early next week.

"If everything goes well from now until Tuesday, where he'll play over the weekend and probably Monday, Tuesday I would guess would be pretty realistic," Torre said.

As for outfielder Hideki Matsui, Torre said not to expect him back until next month. Matsui got X-rays on his fractured left wrist Thursday, and although they look fine structurally, there is still tenderness.

"It's going to be September whether we like it or not," said Torre, who added that Matsui will probably not make any rehab assignments.