Yankees Updates and Notes
Quote:
Trade talk: With the deadline looming on Monday, rumors continue to swirl around the baseball world.

One published report had the Yankees sending Proctor to the Braves for infielder Wilson Betemit. Listening to Torre, it sounds like the Yankees would prefer to add pitching rather than trade it away.

"If you're going to improve your team in one area that's going to cost some pitching, that would take a lot of thought," Torre said. "Pitching is hugely important. Now that we're getting production out of right field with [Aaron] Guiel and Bernie [Williams], you hope that's enough."

While Torre continues to stress pitching over hitting, he wouldn't rule anything out with the deadline just five days away.

"I'm sure we can do something to help our team, but if you asked me to put my finger on it right now, it's tough for me to do," Torre said. "I don't think we can limit it to feeling that we need to get better in only one area."
That would be retarded. Betemit is a good player, but I would not trade our middle relief for another backup infielder when we've already got Nick Green, who is decent on defense. A-Rod will come out of this fine, please don't trade away one of the more reliable pitchers we have in the bullpen.

Quote:
Here's Johnny: Johnny Damon was back in the lineup on Wednesday after missing two games with stiffness in his back. The center fielder suffered the injury while getting into a car on Monday.

Although he said he was unable to play on Tuesday night, Damon said his back "snap, crackled and popped a little bit" during the game, allowing him to play again.

"He told me last night in the seventh inning that he was OK," Torre said. "When he came in [on Wednesday], he was ready to go."
Quote:
Rehab rumblings: Robinson Cano will start running the bases on Friday, testing his strained left hamstring. If all goes well, he could begin playing in Minor League rehab games next week. ... Octavio Dotel, recovering from a right elbow injury, threw on flat ground at a distance of about 100 feet, and he is expected to throw off a mound in a few days. ... Hideki Matsui did more light work off a tee on Wednesday, as Torre said the outfielder was "sore in his shoulders, which is very good." Matsui, who is trying to come back from a left-wrist fracture injury, will be back in New York early next week to visit the doctor, and he could be cleared to take batting practice after that visit.
Quote:
Manager Joe Torre entered Wednesday night's game against the Rangers with a simple plan: Do not use Scott Proctor "at all costs."

But when Kyle Farnsworth's back refused to cooperate during his warmups in the bullpen, Torre was forced to go to Proctor, who gave up his first runs since the All-Star break.

Fortunately, the Yankees were able to come back and escape Texas with an 8-7 win and a three-game sweep. While that will make Thursday's off-day more enjoyable, the Yankees will certainly be crossing their fingers that Farnsworth's back problem is a temporary one.

"It was just a cramp that locked up on me," Farnsworth said. "Hopefully, it's nothing too bad."

Farnsworth said that the lower back pain was the same problem he dealt with in June, when he missed two games.

"There are certain things that crop up with him that handicap him a little bit, but we've been pretty fortunate," Torre said. "He's been able to go to the post for the most part for us."

Farnsworth has appeared in 49 games this season, second only to Proctor's 51 in the American League. He had no problem with his back before the game, and there was no sign of trouble when he got up to warm up in the eighth inning. But when he started throwing on the mound, he couldn't get himself ready to enter the game. After 25 or 30 pitches, Farnsworth stopped warming up.

"I did my whole warmups and did everything, it just never got loose," Farnsworth said. "My back was just grabbing, so I knew it wasn't where it needed to be to go out there. I could have injured it even more."

Torre said that no tests were planned, and Farnsworth said he expected to be ready to go when the Yankees return home to face the Devil Rays on Friday.

"We certainly hold our breath that Farnsworth isn't a problem," Torre said. "We'll know more about that Friday."
Quote:
The Yankees made their first move leading up to the trade deadline on July 31, acquiring backup catcher Sal Fasano from the Phillies for Minor League infielder Hector Made on Wednesday.

Fasano, 34, batted .243 with four home runs and 10 RBIs in 50 games with Philadelphia before landing on the disabled list on July 4 with inflammation in the left knee. He was designated for assignment on July 22.

"When he was designated, we were all on the same page in thinking it could be an upgrade for us," manager Joe Torre said. "It's no guarantee, but that's our feeling going in."

"You have two fears: Am I going to get a job, and am I going to get a job with a team that's not in contention," Fasano said of being designated. "When I found out the Yankees were interested, I was extremely excited. It changed the whole demeanor of my house. It was a good day in the Fasano household."

Fasano spent the 2004 season in the Yankees organization, spending Spring Training with New York before being sent to Triple-A Columbus for the year. When he walked into the clubhouse, he was greeted by several familiar faces, from catcher Jorge Posada to former Columbus teammates such as Andy Phillips and Scott Proctor.

"It makes it real easy," Fasano said. "I saw them at the beginning of their development, and now they're turning into big leaguers. The old guy in me says, it's great to see them have success, while the player in me wants to play with these guys."

To make room for Fasano on their roster, the Yankees designated Kelly Stinnett for assignment.

"He's very professional in the way he goes about his business -- not that Kelly isn't; we just felt he was a better option for us," Joe Torre said. "He's probably played a little bit more, especially this year. We were comfortable with him a couple of years ago, but we had a little more depth with John Flaherty."

Stinnett, 36, hit just .228 in 34 games with the Yankees this season, striking out 29 times in 79 at-bats. He was signed by the Yankees this winter to replace Flaherty as Posada's backup, but he did not live up to expectations at the plate. Torre informed Stinnett of the decision after Tuesday night's game.

"We're still going to count on Jorge," Torre said. "Offensively, we may not have to pinch-hit as often as we did before, so at least the days that Jorge is going to get off, he'll get off."

Made, 21, hit .286 in 86 games with Class A Tampa in 2006. He was signed by the Yankees as a non-drafted free agent out of the Dominican Republic on July 17, 2001.

Fasano had one piece of business to take care of before leaving Philadelphia for Arlington, trimming his Fu Manchu into a regular mustache, along with cutting the back of his hair.

"The jury is still out on the mustache," he said. "If I get some hits and we win, I might keep it. If we lose, I'm shaving it off. That was the tough part; the Fu Manchu was easy to get used to. I liked it. I also cut off about 20 inches of hair. You know the rules when you get here; it's part of being a professional."