Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b] But hey, anytime you can make Manny and Ortiz go hitless, that says something. Moose also had 8 strikeouts, which isn't too shabby either.
Exactly. That's all I was saying. I'm not saying it was the greatest performance of his career, but to make Manny & Ortiz go hitless (plus 8 strikeouts), plus only giving up 5 runs to that Boston lineup ain't too bad. Hey, at least he last more than 1 1/3 inning unlike Beckett [/b][/quote]I didn't say that Mussina's performance wasn't a"good" one, or even a "solid" one.

All I'm saying is that it wasn't "stellar".

If it was, then what would you call his other 11 or 12 starts, all of which were better?

If 5 runs and 8 hits in 6 innings is stellar, what do you consider "bad" or "below average" or sub-par"?

Allowing 5 runs in 6 innings is rather "shabby" IMO, because that translates to allowing 7.5 runs per game, Boston doesn't averge 7.5 runs per game, and that will lose the game for you probably 75% of the time.

I guess my problem is with the way some people tend to throw those superlatives, like "great" and "superstar", around so freely.

Call me a nitpicker if you want to; If you're gonna continue to insist that this was a superlative performance, I'm gonna continue to insist that it wasn't.

Despite the comments, sometimes warranted and sometimes not, by others about your frequently going overboard with your gushing praise of the Yankees, I have never been a member of that chorus until now.

But to call this performance by Mussina "stellar" is ridiculous.

He pitched well enough to win with a 10 run lead, but it was his worst game of the year. That's the best I can say about it.

"Difficult....not impossible"