Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

In any case, the Yankees have more to worry about than yesterday's loss....
Injuries hurt, true. But I think that beating the hottest team in the AL while missing key players shows that players on this team have the ability to step up (Melky Cabrera, Andy Phillips anyone?).

I'm not saying that either of these guys can replace the talent like Sheff or Matsui. But until there is a serious sign that this team can't be competitive without them, I think they made the right move by bringing up prospects (who look like they benefitted from the WBC by playing in the majors during Spring Training) rather than trying to go out and spend on someone like Soriano.

For a team missing big players and not having a A-Rod-ish A-Rod so far this season, they are still only half-a-game behind the Red Sox for first place in the AL East.

Perhaps I'm still idealistic after watching my Sabres nearly make it to the Stanley Cup with patchwork players, but the young players (especially Cabrera) seem to be playing decent, at least well enough so that it doesn't warrant going out and spending on a huge 1-year deal to someone like Soriano or Burnitz or other names you mentioned.