Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:

With Shefield still out and coming back who-knows-when and A Rod having a sub-par year so far, does everyone think the Yankees still have enough offense?
Will missing those two guys hurt? Yes. Of course.

However, there is still considerable depth and talent in that order - Damon, Jeter, A-Rod, Giambi, Williams. If they can all play to their proper levels, it would be fine (Jorge will still be pretty bad :p ). As far as guys like Cano, Crosby, Phillips, etc., they need to step it up and produce as backup players.

Still, while it is probably persistant optimism, the Yanks are only a game behind the Red Sox. And just look at the Red Sox if Manny or Ortiz went down...and the Yanks are in trouble? I'm concerned and disappointed (since Matsui is my favorite player on the Yanks) but I don't think its time to throw in the towel, we still have considerable talent on this team and if it can play to potential we should be able to compete for a spot in the playoffs.

Pitching is still the biggest problem. Kevin Johnson/Randy Brown is pitching his way into irrelevance. They need another decent pitcher...move Mussina into the ace role, get Zito/Willis, and then it should even out.