Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
[quote]Originally posted by goombah:
[b] They buy the majority of their players - where's the challenge in that?
First of all, Boston does the same thing but most people don't have a problem with them winning the Series last year with the 2nd highest payroll in MLB. As for the Yankees "should" be winning 75% of their games, let's not forget that this team is mostly comprised of players 33 and over (with many being in their late 30s/early 40s). As well as baseball being such a hard game that it is, I think it's somewhat unreasonable to expect them to win 75% of their games. I think that the last 4 World Series Champs (Arizona in '01, Anaheim in '02, Florida in '03 and Boston in '04) should lead you to believe that no matter what the Yankees payroll is, the players still have to go out there and perform and win it all themselves! [/b][/quote]Boston is also part of the problem of what is wrong with baseball. But NY is the most serious and longest running offender of buying talent. You're obviously a big fan and know the team better than I. But I can't think of anyone of significant value on NY's roster that was homegrown except Jeter. The only person in that organization I have any respect for is Joe Torre.

Of the past 4 seasons, NY was the better team on paper and should have beaten both Arizona & Flordia in the WS. I'm certainly glad they didn't. Had it been any other team than Boston, I would have taken so much more joy in the Yanks collassal choke in last year's ALCS. The only things I root for in NY & Boston are lots of bean balls and injuries.