Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
[quote]Originally posted by plawrence:
[b]2) The games meant more to Balt than to Bost
Umm... How??

O's are out of it, doesn't mean shit to them. Not one game meant shit to them all season!

Of course, Boston was gonna rest some guys cuz for them it didn't mean anything - for real. That's what made picking Sox offense so tough, cuz hardly any were destined to play two games. Hell, even O's were gonna get some rookies some at-bats...

This late in the season, if October isn't in the team's future, it's all a matter of getting the rookies some work. And for October teams, that AND keeping the regulars sharp; and, not wearing out your good pitchers.

But, to actually pick the O's PS over Boston, to me -- even on the road -- was kinda crazy.

So maybe that's why I'm always 3rd... I'm not crazy enough! [/b][/quote]Baltimore had a lot more to play for: PRIDE. The chance to beat the big, bad Red Sox in front of two big home crowds. And they showed it by pretty much playing their regulars. Boston was playing for absolutely nothing.

Plus, if you look at Balt's roster, you'll see that the really don't have a lot of "September call-ups" to play instead of their regulars anyway.

And, obviously, it was impossible to figure who, if anyone, from Boston was gonna play both games.

I figured that it was a lot more likely that the Balt guys I picked were gonna play both games (and 4 out of 6 of them did) than anyone I could pick from Boston. I mean, look who played both ends for the Sox: I think it was just Roberts, Kapler, and Cabrerra, three guys that no one picked.

So with 6 O's in my line-up and Mirabelli, I'm not about to take the Boston PS.

I figured DB was gonna view it the same way.

Remember what he said about the Det-TB DH the other day
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sicilia:
[QUOTE]Looking at the line-up, top to bottom, I found that I wanted more Detroit offense than TB offense, so I went with the Detroit PS.
That's the way I figured it, that's the way I figured he was gonna figure it, and that's the other reason I took Baltimore.

The only surprise was that he took more guys from Boston than Baltimore, and, I think if you asked him, he would tell you that that was a mistake.

The bottom line, though, is that I don't recall a doubleheader when DB took a PS from a non-DH team. Assuming that he was gonna do so yesterday, given the offensive players that figured to play, Balt was the choice I thought he would make.

I could, of course, have DB's figuring all wrong.

Maybe he thought that Boston players were the better offensive picks and I would figure it the same way and go with the Boston PS, so in semi-desperation he would go "unpredictable" and take Baltimore.

Or maybe he figured the Pitching the same way I did, and took more Bost players than Balt players, thinking that he would go "unpredictable" that way.

We'll have to see if he weighs in with a comment on this.

And then there's the Pedro Astacio and his 10+ E.R.A. factor. If Schilling was pitching, it might have been a different story altogether.

"Difficult....not impossible"