I did an interesting bit of research today.....

When we pick a PS, we all look, of course, at who the starter is that day.

But starters hardly ever complete a game anymore, so I thought it would be interesting to know which starters averaged the greatest number of points per game by themselves (Which, as you may recall, is how I once suggested this game be scored: Pick a starter every day and get his points, and pick a relief pitcher every day and get his points).

If you pick a solid starter that only averages, for example, between 6-7 innings per start, you're not getting your money's worth like you are for the guy who averages 7-8 innings per start.

Anyway, here are the guys I looked at:

Martinez, Schilling, Santana, Mulder, Pavano, Zambrano (Cubs), Wood (Cubs), Carpenter, Oswalt, Clemens, Perez (Pitts), Sheets, Schmidt, Peavy, and Johnson (Ariz).

I figured their individual point totals for each of their starts, added in 5 points if their team won the game, regardless of whether or not he got the decision, and got an average number of points per start.

There were some surprises.....Unfortunatley though, I'm not going to share the results until the season is over.... :p

"Difficult....not impossible"