Personally, I don't think Michael had a free choice in all of his decisions, and I don't think his choice a mafia life was soley based upon his father's murder attempt. I also believe that society help guide Michael's decision to work for the family.

Michael was a intelligent ivy-league student, WWII marine hero, soft spoken, mannerable young man in quest for the american dream. He was even personable. It is kinda strange that Michael never had any New England buddies except for Kay. Something is wrong right there!

Mike went to the hospital to visit his dad [you know the rest]. Now he stands face to face with a uniform wearing police captian with a dominnering presence, who makes disparging remarks of Michael's nationality. After the captian have been reminded about Michael's accomplishments, was McClusky impressed? NO! In fact, it appeared that it angered him more. On top of that a person of inferior pettigee is telling him what he should do. In response, the capt unlawfully attempt to throw Micheal in jail and then bruitize him by breaking Michael's jaw.
In the 40's, was the capt's views on Sicilans were those of a small minority? I don't think so. I think a hellava lot of people think the way the capt did. It is very sad that all the "miracles" that Michael accomplish for his country. His country thinks of him as a ginnea WOP who should be locked up in jail.
After Michael finally recieved his "wake-up call" ( he sure did ignore Sonny and Vito's) by Mcclusky, that is, he is inferior. It's just human nature to lean toward places where you are wanted. No, I never thought that there were any picketfenced houses for Micheal and Kay to live in peace in the suburbs. I also think that that night showed Michael that as well.
...just a thought.

Send the car for me too, mama