Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:
I don't know... I don't think a PS should be penalized for a fielding error leading to an unearned run. I don't think unearned runs should be considered at all in the scoring. If anything, I'd say -2 subtracted from the FIELDER for each error.
Have you ever read anything by Bill James? He's the guy who developed "game scores" for pitchers. I forgot the exact formula...something like "start with 50, add 1 point for each out recorded, 4 points for each inning pitched after the 5th, 1 point for a strikeout, subtract 1 for a walk, 2 for a hit, 2 for an unearned run, 4 for an earned run". Something like that.

The idea was for a complete game 2 or 3 hit shutout with about 9 K's and no walks should score out to close to 100.

He counted earned runs for twice the negative value of an unearned run.

I never liked the way unearned runs were figured anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, 'cause I'm not 100% sure here, but if there are two outs and no one on, and the next batter reaches on an error, if the next guy hits a homer, then both runs are unearned.

I have no problem with the run that scored on the error being unearned, but the pitcher did give up a homer. Seems to me that should be an earned run.

Same scenario: After the error, the pitcher gets tatooed. Gives up homers, doubles, walks, and 6 runs. All unearned? Makes no sense.

"Difficult....not impossible"