Turnbull, You are the master!!

However, I think you left one important thing out. I agree that Michael had free will. Once it was made clear that Vito's only chance of survival is for Sollozzo (and therefore McCluskey) to be killed, I don't necessarily agree that Michael had any other choice but to turn to murder. I think he did what he had to do to save his Family.

I think what you left out was that Michael LIKED IT!! That "slap" from McCluskey was his turning point. Aside from the calm hands during the cigarette lighting scene, you can see the coldness in him when he's talking to Sonny the next day about how HE will be the one to pull the trigger. The book talks about the "delicious icy coldness" that pervades his body when he realizes his destiny. He wants to be that man. He realizes that he was always meant to be that man.

However, as do many powerful men, he felt the need to impose his power on everyone and everything in his life. His way or no way. And, ultimately, he chased away those who truly loved him.

His life truly was tragic, but not necessarily a tragedy. I think that tragedies are triggered by circumstances beyond control. I agree with you, Turnbull, that the twists and turns his life took were completely within his control.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club