GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Signor Vitelli), 367 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,782
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,343
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,414
Posts1,060,530
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Re: Any hoops fans? #228406
10/29/02 12:16 AM
10/29/02 12:16 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Corpuzzi:
I think that the Queens are going to be so caught up in the mind games that they're gonna forget about the game that really matters (basketball)
Exactly! I haven't seen a good feud in the NBA since the Heat/Knicks feud back a few years. Everybody ALWAYS looked forward to the games, because they knew both teams hated each other & that each game would be VERY physical. I think the same thing is going to happen this year with the Kings/Lakers. Only question is, can Sacramento find an answer for Shaq, or will they complain again this summer about getting beat by L.A.?

Re: Any hoops fans? #228407
10/29/02 02:36 AM
10/29/02 02:36 AM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishman12:
Only question is, can Sacramento find an answer for Shaq, or will they complain again this summer about getting beat by L.A.?
I don't think that there is an answer for Shaq. They could clone Wilt Chamberlain, but I still don't think that would be enough.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228408
10/29/02 11:15 AM
10/29/02 11:15 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
[/QUOTE]I don't think that there is an answer for Shaq. They could clone Wilt Chamberlain, but I still don't think that would be enough.[/QUOTE]

I can easily see Sacramento losing sight of the real prize and not taking advantage of the opportunity early in the season. Shaq is out for a while, and now Fox is out for 6 games. I can see them complaining about the Lakers getting the calls and losing to them again this year.

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Any hoops fans? #228409
10/30/02 04:03 PM
10/30/02 04:03 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
As much as I love the Lakers, I was watching some highlights on ESPN last night and those Sacramento Kings sure play a nice game of team basketball.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228410
10/30/02 04:58 PM
10/30/02 04:58 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
As much as I love the Lakers, I was watching some highlights on ESPN last night and those Sacramento Kings sure play a nice game of team basketball.
I didn't know this until recenly, but the Kings got Keon Clark who is a pretty dangerous player. I think if he gets some PT, then the Kings can do some damage on L.A.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228411
10/30/02 07:17 PM
10/30/02 07:17 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
I didn't know this until recenly, but the Kings got Keon Clark who is a pretty dangerous player. I think if he gets some PT, then the Kings can do some damage on L.A.
The Lakers didn't really make any significant off-season acquisitions. The rest of the league is getting better, and the Lakers are staying the same. What Suckramento needs to be careful of is focusing all of their attention on beating the Lakers. They could still easily lose to the Spurs or the Mavericks.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228412
10/30/02 08:35 PM
10/30/02 08:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
The Lakers didn't really make any significant off-season acquisitions. The rest of the league is getting better, and the Lakers are staying the same. What Suckramento needs to be careful of is focusing all of their attention on beating the Lakers. They could still easily lose to the Spurs or the Mavericks.
I agree with you to an extent. I don't think the Spurs will be beating anybody this year. Everyone says that the Spurs will win their division, but I'm calling Dallas. The Mavericks have the offense, but what they need to do is start playing some defense (I think they were ranked last last year in the league for defense). If they can have defense as good as their offense is, I think that they can beat the Lakers then!

Re: Any hoops fans? #228413
10/30/02 09:13 PM
10/30/02 09:13 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Hey I gotta question for everyone. I'm watching the Wizards/Raptors game on ESPN and they just showed highlights (during halftime of the Wiz/Rap game)of the New Jersey Nets. They showed them playing & raising their Eastern Conference Banner from last year. Well, my question is, did the Nets get anything for second place last year? We all know the champions get championship rings, but I think my brother told me years ago, that 2nd place gets the 2nd place ring. Is this true? Does 2nd place get anything? If so, what is it?

Re: Any hoops fans? #228414
10/30/02 09:58 PM
10/30/02 09:58 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
I know that the Nets were presented with a trophy after beating the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. They don't get any kind of second place award or ring. However, any team can make rings if they want to. If they feel like it, the Nets can make Eastern Conference Championship rings, but I don't know how special those would be.

I saw those highlights on ESPN as well, and I kinda laughed to myself. Growing up in Southern California and being a Laker fan, I always thought that NBA Championship banners and retired jerseys would be the only things teams would hang. But I remember the Charlotte Hornets used to have banners for leading the league in attendance.

For a franchise that was a woeful as the Nets used to be, winning the East was a big deal, and they wish to commemorate that. But for storied franchises like the Celtics and the Lakers, and more recently the Bulls, league championships are the only things worthy of getting banners and rings.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228415
10/30/02 10:02 PM
10/30/02 10:02 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
The Mavericks have the offense, but what they need to do is start playing some defense (I think they were ranked last last year in the league for defense). If they can have defense as good as their offense is, I think that they can beat the Lakers then!
I'll agree with you on this. The Mavericks' two best players (Nowitzki and Finley) are poor defenders. One would expect more out of a team that starts a front line of two 7 footers (Nowitzki and LaFrentz) and a 7'6" guy (Shawn Bradley). Like many of the European players, Nowitzki can shoot the lights out but is not as well-schooled on defense. Bradley was a monster shotblocker during his one year at BYU, but in the NBA he's been pushed around by other post players who are stronger than he is.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228416
10/30/02 10:10 PM
10/30/02 10:10 PM
Milwaukee, WI
badguytony Offline OP
Underboss
badguytony  Offline OP
Underboss
Milwaukee, WI
I heard the New Orleans Hornets are going to retire "Pistol" Pete's jersey. He didn't play for the Hornets, but I think they're doing it because he played for the New Orleans Jazz and played college ball at LSU.

"You should see the other guy."
-Tony Montana

"It might just be for a split-second, but it's still flying."
-Michael Jordan
Re: Any hoops fans? #228417
10/30/02 11:08 PM
10/30/02 11:08 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Grazie again Don Corpuzzi for the info. Did you see the Wizards/Raptors game? I did, and man that was one of the fastest games I've ever seen on TV. I think it lasted only 2 and a hour hours (1 hour each half, and then halftime for about 30 mins). Anways, the Wizards played like TOTAL garbage! I think Jordan ended up with only 8 points, and didn't score a basket in the 2nd half. It was a sloppy & poor performance on their part. I hope they put on a better show tomorrow against Botson!

Re: Any hoops fans? #228418
10/31/02 12:56 AM
10/31/02 12:56 AM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by badguytony:
I heard the New Orleans Hornets are going to retire "Pistol" Pete's jersey. He didn't play for the Hornets, but I think they're doing it because he played for the New Orleans Jazz and played college ball at LSU.
I heard that too. I think it's a nice tribute to a hometown hero like Maravich was. It's interesting that franchises are starting to align themselves with the city as well as the franchise. The Hornets retiring Pete's number is roughly similar to the Ravens honoring all of those former Baltimore Colts, even though it's an entirely different franchise.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228419
10/31/02 01:00 AM
10/31/02 01:00 AM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
I think Jordan ended up with only 8 points, and didn't score a basket in the 2nd half. It was a sloppy & poor performance on their part. I hope they put on a better show tomorrow against Botson!
I heard that Coach Doug Collins plans on limiting MJ to just 25 minutes a game until the All-Star break. I don't see MJ continuing in his role as the 6th man if the team continues to perform poorly. He'll eventually get restless and demand to be put in the starting lineup playing his customary 38 minutes a game (if his body can hold up).

Although a lot of people are saying that MJ should retire and that he's ruining his legacy, I think that he's doing a very noble thing. He could easily be retired and playing with his piles of cash, but instead he's still playing and serving as a mentor to young players who will hopefully be torchbearers for the NBA in the years ahead.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228420
10/31/02 12:18 PM
10/31/02 12:18 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
I heard that Coach Doug Collins plans on limiting MJ to just 25 minutes a game until the All-Star break. I don't see MJ continuing in his role as the 6th man if the team continues to perform poorly. He'll eventually get restless and demand to be put in the starting lineup playing his customary 38 minutes a game (if his body can hold up).

Although a lot of people are saying that MJ should retire and that he's ruining his legacy, I think that he's doing a very noble thing. He could easily be retired and playing with his piles of cash, but instead he's still playing and serving as a mentor to young players who will hopefully be torchbearers for the NBA in the years ahead.
Yeah I think Jordan only played 25 minutes last night, but he could have shot a lot better. I agree with you totally about Mike doing a noble thing. Sure, me like everyone else would have LOVED to have seen him go out with that game winning shot in the 1998 NBA Finals to win his 6th Title! But he didn't, and I'm just happy & privledged enough to see the man play again. I absolultely love the feeling of knowing that almost every night there's a Wizards game on, and I can STILL see the man play. I can't get enough of seeing him play live (even if he's 39). I hope his body holds up because 10 years ago, he would have posterized that ball last night, instead of missing the dunk!

Re: Any hoops fans? #228421
10/31/02 09:37 PM
10/31/02 09:37 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:

they just showed highlights (during halftime of the Wiz/Rap game)of the New Jersey Nets. They showed them playing & raising their Eastern Conference Banner from last year. Well, my question is, did the Nets get anything for second place last year? We all know the champions get championship rings, but I think my brother told me years ago, that 2nd place gets the 2nd place ring. Is this true? Does 2nd place get anything? If so, what is it?
I never heard of second place rings, but I was at the NETS game last nite, and the raising of the Eastern Conference Championship Banner was awesome. No bull -- as a long suffering Nets fan it literally almost brought tears to my eyes. I was really choked up!!

BTW, because of my offer he couldn't refuse to Don Corpuzzi earlier in this thread to get him a ticket to game 7 of the NBA finals if its Lakers vs. Nets AND the game is in New Jersey...

Don Corpuzzi--the Nets were awesome last night. I looked over the schedule, and I'm predicting a record of 60-22. With Shaq loafing for half the year with his toe, that should be good enough for home court advantage throughout the playoffs. See you in New Jersey in June -- that's IF the Lakers make the finals and IF they manage to take my Nets to 7 games!!!

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Any hoops fans? #228422
10/31/02 10:40 PM
10/31/02 10:40 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
plawrence - I admire your faith in the Nets. They are a great team and fun to watch. Hopefully the voters will give Kidd his MVP this year. I'm praying for that Lakers-Nets showdown!

Re: Any hoops fans? #228423
10/31/02 11:50 PM
10/31/02 11:50 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Hopefully the voters will give Kidd his MVP this year.
Heck yeah! I'm praying 4 that one. They did him wrong last year. But I don't want them to "make it up to him" this year. If he wins it this year, I want him to earn it! I can't stand when guys get things just because they got screwed eariler (it throws everything else off, because the year they won it, someone was more deserving!)

Re: Any hoops fans? #228424
11/01/02 10:21 AM
11/01/02 10:21 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Did anyone watch the Wizards/Celtics last night? Jordan and Stackhouse were great, and the young kid, Kwame Brown did a great job. Although I think the Nets are the team to beat in the east, maybe Michael will perform moreof his magic and make it a real race. The Celtics looked like a tired and complacent team already, and it's only the 2nd game.

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: Any hoops fans? #228425
11/01/02 02:11 PM
11/01/02 02:11 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Marco:
Did anyone watch the Wizards/Celtics last night? Jordan and Stackhouse were great, and the young kid, Kwame Brown did a great job. Although I think the Nets are the team to beat in the east, maybe Michael will perform moreof his magic and make it a real race. The Celtics looked like a tired and complacent team already, and it's only the 2nd game.
I saw the final score of the game (I didn't watch it because I was watching WWF's Smackdown!). What ticks me off is that if Washington would have played like they did last night, the night before against Toronto, they'd be 2-0 right now. Every game counts, espeically for them! I'm surprised not only that Washington won, but that they BLEW them out by 45 points! Mike was his usual, like 21 points in like 22 mins!

Re: Any hoops fans? #228426
11/01/02 02:29 PM
11/01/02 02:29 PM
Michigan
DonPalentino Offline
Underboss
DonPalentino  Offline
Underboss
Michigan
Another team to watch out for is the Pistons. They are no joke this year Hamilton is going to excel with this team. He's got more of a leadership role. Ben Wallace is a monster hopefully he'll score a little bit more. And the bench scoring on that team is great.

Leonard: I dont know. See, I have this condition.
Teddy: Well, I hope its not as serious as his, 'cos this guy's dead.
Re: Any hoops fans? #228427
11/02/02 12:30 PM
11/02/02 12:30 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
I just read that because Michael Jordan is coming off the bench in Washington, it has led Scottie Pippen to accept a similar role being Bonzi Wells' backup. Geez, they're not even teammates and Scottie still can't do anything without first getting the go-ahead from Michael. I think that Pippen was a very good player, but one of the most overrated in history.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228428
11/02/02 02:49 PM
11/02/02 02:49 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
I just read that because Michael Jordan is coming off the bench in Washington, it has led Scottie Pippen to accept a similar role being Bonzi Wells' backup. Geez, they're not even teammates and Scottie still can't do anything without first getting the go-ahead from Michael. I think that Pippen was a very good player, but one of the most overrated in history.
Na, I think Scottie was never underated. At one point in his career, I thought he was the best all around player in the game (not of all time, but in the league at that time). Scottie did it all & was a GREAT player. He was just handicaped so much in Houston, that it was the beginning of his downfall!

Re: Any hoops fans? #228429
11/02/02 02:50 PM
11/02/02 02:50 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Quote:
Originally posted by DonPalentino:
Another team to watch out for is the Pistons. They are no joke this year Hamilton is going to excel with this team. He's got more of a leadership role. Ben Wallace is a monster hopefully he'll score a little bit more. And the bench scoring on that team is great.
I don't understand why everyone is pumping up the Pistons so much this year? I think they're goind to be worse than last year, because they lost Stackhouse. I've got nothing against Hamilton, but when you loss Jerry Stackhouse for Rip Hamilton, how can you expect to be better?

Re: Any hoops fans? #228430
11/02/02 07:53 PM
11/02/02 07:53 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
At one point in his career, I thought he was the best all around player in the game (not of all time, but in the league at that time). Scottie did it all & was a GREAT player. He was just handicaped so much in Houston, that it was the beginning of his downfall!
I will agree that Scottie was a great player at one point, but he relied too much on MJ. I think that Scottie should NOT have been one of the 50 greatest players. There were a number of people who did not make that list that were better than Scottie, they just didn't happen to play alongside a certain #23.

If there was a second fiddle hall of fame, Scottie would definitely make it on the first ballot, as would Kevin McHale.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228431
11/04/02 11:40 AM
11/04/02 11:40 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I think the people that selected the 50 top players put a lot of emphasis of chmpionships and it is really hard to leave someone with 6 of them off the list. He was a intricate part of those teams, he, MJ, and Phil Jackson being the common factor on all the teams. He did invent the "point forward" position as the offense may have gone through MJ, but it started with Pippen.

To go against my championship theory on inclusion on the list is Dennis Rodman. The man has 5 rings and isn't on the list.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228432
11/04/02 11:58 AM
11/04/02 11:58 AM
Milwaukee, WI
badguytony Offline OP
Underboss
badguytony  Offline OP
Underboss
Milwaukee, WI
You're right Don Marco, the top 50 did rely much on titles. However, players like Dominique Wilkins, Bernard King and Bob McAdoo should have made the list. I'm sure they will make a top 75 or top 100 in the future.

-Tony Montana

-Michael Jordan
Re: Any hoops fans? #228433
11/05/02 10:04 PM
11/05/02 10:04 PM
Los Angeles
Don Corpuzzi Offline
Underboss
Don Corpuzzi  Offline
Underboss
Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by badguytony:
You're right Don Marco, the top 50 did rely much on titles. However, players like Dominique Wilkins, Bernard King and Bob McAdoo should have made the list. I'm sure they will make a top 75 or top 100 in the future.
They probably won't make a top 75 team until the NBA's 75th anniversary, and by then, there will be another 30 or 40 great players what will bump some of the original 50 off.

Re: Any hoops fans? #228434
11/05/02 10:55 PM
11/05/02 10:55 PM
Milwaukee, WI
badguytony Offline OP
Underboss
badguytony  Offline OP
Underboss
Milwaukee, WI
You're right Don Corpuzzi. It would be nice to think that they will remember some of those guys who were left of the 50, but it probably won't happen. This could be another good conversation starter, if you could add guys to the list who are currently playing, who would you pick. Now remember, Shaq (already on the list) was criticized for being named to the top 50, but it turned out to be a good choice.

-Tony Montana

-Michael Jordan
Re: Any hoops fans? #228435
11/06/02 12:04 AM
11/06/02 12:04 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
As for guys who could be added there's a lot of them! Carter, Garnett, Duncan, Kidd, T-Mac just to name a few. Kobe wasn't named was he? If not, then you could add him.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16