Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
...There's a 7/8 of a chance of getting heads.

The more times you flip, the closer it comes to being a 100% certainty, but it never gets there.
Wha'???

First off, a disclaimer: While I did study statistics in college, Probability always (and still) confused the hell out of me. BUT...

There's always a 50% chance of flipping heads. Always, on every individual flip. However, if your goal is to flip heads twice in a row, I believe the odds go down. I *think* to 25%? If you asked "what are the odds I'd flip this coin 10 times and always get heads" it'd be nearly zero. Not nearly 100%.

Quote:
Cont'd by plawrence:
If Buffy was in Vegas 9 days a year, for me to be 100% certain of meeting her, I'd have to be there 357 days.

But if I'm only there four days, are the odds 4/357, or 89-1?
If Buffy was in Vegas 9 consecutive days/year, sure, you'd definitely run into her if you were there 357 days/year. But if she was there 9 times for one day each time, I don't think it'd be "guaranteed" any more -- though very close.

Help!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations