From what I'm reading, all is not lost for those of us who can't purchase the $600 60 GB version. Read below:

Quote:
Posted 15 May 2006
Print this pageEmail this page
GamesRadar rumor debunked
by Justin Pinter

There has been a rumor spreading across the internet that the 20GB version of the PS3 console will not have wireless bluetooth technology for the controllers.

GamesRadar.com reported, "Sony has today cleared up the confusion over the differences in specification between the two models of PlayStation 3 - and the cheaper version won't support wireless controllers...instead, gamers will have to make do with retro-style wired-up versions of the increasingly controversial PS3 pad."

It also claimed that the hard drive is not replacable.

However, if you read the Sony Press Release, it states that both versions of the console will ship with a "Wireless Controller (Bluetooth)". Also, in a number of interviews, Phil Harrison has confirmed that hard drive can be changed at any time.

GamesRadar's report is totally false. Have a look at our PlayStation 3 specification for a breakdown of what's included in each package.
That's from PS3Land, but I've been digging around and it looks to be true. At least the hard drive will be upgradeble, but I'm still disappointed that its missing the memory slots.