August 10, 2004 - Vivendi Universal Games today announced the development of Scarface, a new third-person shooter based on the 1983 Brian De Palma classic (in turn based on the 1932 Howard Hawks classic). The title is being developed by Radical Games and is planned for release in Fall 2005 for PC and consoles. Exactly which consoles has yet to be revealed.

Players will step into the shoes of Tony Montana, the larger-than-life gangster memorably played by Al Pacino in the film. While it has yet to be revealed whether any of the film's cast and crew will contribute to the game, VU Games has announced that David McKenna (screenwriter for American History X) will handle the storyline.

"The treacherous world of Scarface is a natural property to translate into a cinematic game play experience," said Michael Pole, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Studios for Vivendi Universal Games. "The game will feature cutting-edge technology, a compelling storyline and the unprecedented experience of playing as one of Hollywood's most notorious gangsters, Tony Montana."

"Scarface was a landmark film and has inspired countless movies and games," said Bill Kispert, vice president of Interactive at Universal Studios Consumer Products Group. "Having the chance to now bring gamers the authentic experience is an opportunity and challenge we are looking forward to."

We should see more details on the game in coming months, including first screens. Given its screen inspiration, though, it's safe to assume Scarface will be heavy on action and include not a little bloodshed. Stay tuned for more.
-- David Adams

"Death is the answer to all problems. No man, no problem."

"I'd rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who i am not"