Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
Originally posted by Lollie:
(one from Campania and the other Calabreze)
I noticed many of the Italian Americans in the BB write "Calabrese" as if it was the name of a region. It isn't. This is an adjective. You say your relatives are from CALABRIA, so they are CALABRESI. Calabrese is a singular adjective.

Lavinia, the feminine Plaw. smile [/QB]
Thanks Lavinia. I always thought that was he case. My family on both sides is Sicilian. I had one uncle (through marriage) who was from Calabria. Everyone loved this guy, but he was not immune from being teased because he was only "Calabresi". My father and he would go around and around speaking Italian (fortunately in this case, with love and good humor) as to which was better Siciliano or Calabaresi. lol I didn't think, nor did I know at the time, of these feelings between these two areas, but they must have because they both joked about it all the time.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon