Originally posted by goombah:
Originally posted by DonVitoCorleone:
[b] At first, he still loves Fredo and understands that he didn't know there was going to be a hit. Then after the talk he had with him, he completely changes his mind and tells Fredo that he no longer means anything to him, and obviously he later has him killed. I don't understand what happened between New Years Day in Havannah and after Michael talked with Fredo that made Michael order the hit.
Could somebody explain this to me? confused
Just to add on to what Turnbull said. Remember Michael's key phrase that he uttered to Frankie: "My father taught me to keep your friends close and your enemies closer." What better way to keep Fredo, his 'enemy', closer than to bring him back to Tahoe? The embrace at Mama's funeral was another extension of winning back Fredo's trust to keep him "closer."

They also did it the first film with Carlo. Once Vito figured out (it's explained better in the novel) that Carlo had a hand in Santino's death, Carlo & Connie were brought to live on the Mall. Then Mike makes it appear as if Carlo will be the "right hand man" in Nevada, thus keeping Carlo closer until the opportunity to have him killed arose. [/b]
i dont think so.Calo and Fredo.They r different.
we see,another theme of GF is love,love the whole family.whatever,Fredo is mikey's brother,a real brother,no matter what happens,nobody can change it,it's a fact!but calo is different,his name is not Corleone.so he's not a member of this family,he's just an enemy.
And in GF3,we heard mike said"i ordered my brother's death,i killed my mother's son,i killed my father's son".he still think Fredo is his brother,not an enemy.so "keep your enemy closer"is not for Fredo.IMO

“Don't lie to me. It insults my intelligence. It makes me very angry.”- Michael Coreleone