Quote:
Originally posted by Vito's Legacy:
[quote]Originally posted by M.M. Floors:
[b] Probably vince took over with (IMO) connie as consiglieri (if that's possible ofcourse, a woman as counselor) because connie is at that point the best.
Sorry... but best at what? Nothing in any of the three films, (at least comes to mind), that Connie possess a natural feel for dealing with the Corleone's criminal affairs. In Part III, her sole drive as a character was to encourage Vincent to become Don, which is why we see her for the first time taking part in these sort of affairs.

Puzo's novel tells us Connie was very close to her father, a sort of "daddy's girl" if you will. I always thought Connie was helping Vincent, because not only did he remind her of her own father, ("You're the only one with my father's strength"), but she probably hoped Vincent's reign as Don would see a return to the glory days of when her father was in charge. Because then Connie would feel safe, as she did before her marriage to Carlo and when the Don was shot - when her world began to crumble. At least that's how I see it.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Talia Shire's portrayal as Connie in all the films, though personally I would find it unusual to see her as a consglerri, and suddenly playing a pivotal part in the Corleone criminal affairs. [/b][/quote]I think the point you've all missed in this thread is that is that by the begining of GF3 Connie IS consigliere. Michael's Got BJ running his business affairs, but he pointedly leaves the room when anything criminal is being discussed and at that point Connie always takes over. For example when Michael is in the hospital Neri only goes along with the hit on Zaza when Connie gives the go ahead. Thus donoting her semi-accepted role of being in charge when Michael's out of the picture. Also, she's the only one who needs to be asked twice wheter she understands when Michael's expressing his displeasure at the hit on Zaza

"Come on, Mike, you won. Do you have to wipe out everybody?"