Originally posted by belle:
Grazie JUSTME, we're on the same page.
Prego! I'm so happy to find that someone except me feels it not to be criminal to criticize Coppola! smile
As a woman I simply can't justify leaving the husband you love and father of your children after a few bumps in the road ( or assassination attempts) ohwell whatever the case may be. If her love and devotion for Michael was not that strong why marry him after the whole Sicily mess?
As a woman, I agree with you wink . She married him perfectly knowing and accepting all "Sicilian things". She liked them enough to wait 3 years for murderer to marry her. She lived with him long enough to know and accept them as much as to change her religion. She was "on her way to becoming a Sicilian", Puso writes. Why after all that she would suddenly begin to despise them? After her talk with Hagen she knew about them even more than she should-and she returned to him, even despite his lie. I think that she did it for love she had for him, to support him and pray for him, even if they will not be as happy anymore. Puso shows us that their mutual trust is broken, for a while at least, by what happened, but still she stays with him. I think that she wasn't such an empty place as FFC makes her later, she must have some sense of duty. Not only to her kids, but to the man she connected her life with. After all, marriage is not a trifle, it's an obligation, a responsibility for her dealings with his life and feelings as well, and making that step she seemed to understand it.
Her leaving him even without abortion seems not at all justified.
I think the scene from the book between Kay and Tom when he is sent to fetch her at her parent's house in New Hampshire would have been a great addition.
Yes, there was much to film from the book, enough left. It would be anyway better than inventing and pushing his own ideas, not always as good!

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.