Originally posted by svsg:
Just Me, I don't quite agree with you that Copolla screwed up with the characters. I think he was able to put that shock element to each of the characters... Kay aborting a child, Michael killing Fredo, pentangeli suicide, michael trusting Tom earlier and distrusting him towards the end etc. Ofcourse each author will change the story as per his taste, but the question is, did it look unnatural or was it not sufficiently justified?
Well, you know, Winegardner also brought many shock elements in Puso's characters, but it didn't make his book more interesting. lol Shocks are different, I believe, and the shock of disgust cannot help the work very much. FFC did some good shocking changes, for example, the killings of all 5 families heads instead of two - it looked great. [Linked Image]
But when he makes people act in a way perfectly unnatural to their way of thinking, it is annoying, sometimes more than shocking. He changes their nature just because HE wants them to act so, not because they want or need it. If it would be a separate story, about different people, we might accept them the way he shows them, but since we know enough about them, and Puso developed to the utmost subtleties their characters, shallow, groundless and willfull changes in their nature, justified by nothing better than his wish, don't add quality to his work. mad Even shocking, they leave me rather disappointed than impressed. frown He was clever enough, I believe, to avoid many mistakes he made if he would take trouble, and listen more to Puso. rolleyes

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.