Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
The very reason he sought out and married Kay was to have children to pass his dynasty to. While I'm sure he loved his daughter, his primary interest was in having as many sons as possible for this very purpose. Just like a King who needs heirs to the throne.
I agree with you absolutely. It was not whim, just foolish surmise that he would be somehow more "real man". He really needed sons. And, by the way, we may wish a child of certain sex, women as well as men, there's nothing unnatural. It doesn't mean that if the child will be of another sex, we shall love him less!
As to Michael asking it, I don't see any coldness here. At first he was absolutely stunned by the fact that his child was DEAD, and only then asked something. Of course child was first on his mind - Kay was alive and OK, and the baby - .
And, by the way, I don't think that he would ask that if he talked to Kay. He would show compassion to her personally, but he had no reason to show it in front of Hagen.
One more thought. Wishing sons so much, I think Mike would marry again after Kay had left him. He would not live dreaming about "How he lost her", he was not that kind of man. Just one of those annoying things about GF3... wink

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.