Quote:
Originally posted by Don Mikey:
Does anyone have any ideas for the name of a character who could be head of the Russian Mafia? I'm bad with names. Also, what is a Don in the Russian Mafia called? (Is that a dumb question?)
I lived in Kiev for a year Don Mikey, so I could give any amount of real names. One I liked was a guy who worked in our office called Yaroslav Volkovinski. Don't know why, it just sounded real Russian to me! Don't know enough about the structure of the Russian Mafia to answer your other query but I still have contacts in Kiev so I'll try to find out. I know this is kinda off topic but to show how Russian names work we can take the example of a man called Nikolai Yakovlev. He has a son called Alexander whose full name then becomes Alexander Nikolayovich Yakovlev (son of Nikolai). His daughter Lyudmilla becomes Lyudmilla Nikolayovna Yakovleva (daughter of Nikolai, using the feminine form of he family name). To show respect in Russian you do not use Mr or Mrs rather you use this patronymic name as it is called. So to refer to the son as Mr Yakovlev you would address him as Alexander Nikolayovich. Why did I start this???

Tom: "They shot Sonny on the causeway...he's dead."
Michael: "Turnbull is a good man"
Shane MacGowan: "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the drunk tank"