like I said, I'm working on act5 now...

I've written down some feedback for myself:

THE SETUP
I chose the most common set-up: a 20’s&30’s story and a 80’s & 90’s story.

The 20’s & 30’s story is mainly just about how it was described in the novel, as well as the references made in the first three movies (Hyman Roth talking about his old pal Moe Greene, etc.) Luca Brasi’s baby, finding Tom Hagen, etc. I don’t know if we should put too much in it, let’s not visualize ‘aerything’

The modern Vincent story: Michael leaves NY and the business in 1984, and moves to Sicily. BJ gets control over Imobbiliare, Vincent runs the business, which isn’t legitimate anymore. He is not respected as much as a Don like Mike and Vito were, and other organized crime syndicats see a chance to get a piece of the action. Also, Vincent thinks ‘big’, so the Family’s activities are no longer NY/Sicily/Vegas only, but worldwide. His new competitors are, besides 2 or 3 strong Don’s of other families left, the Yakuza, the Russian mob, the Italian mob and the Mexican and South-American drug cartels. He’s into drugs.

Somehow, I think, his story has to be a bit like John Gotti’s. If it would be in the 80’s and 90’s, and the movie would be the end of the saga, why not combine it with the unofficial end of the LCN history, which happened in the early 90’s with the Gotti trial? Maybe it could be like this:

After Michael’s retirement, another Don becomes the unofficial Boss-Of-Bosses (from now on to be called Carlo DiCanio), and Vincent disagrees. Altough from another Family, and altough not permitted by The Commission (this is not accurate!) Vincent kills DiCanio. He’s shot downtown NY when stepping out of his car, so is his driver. Vincent is the new superboss. FBI phone-taps him and his consiglieri and capo’s. On one of the tapes, he talks very badmouthed about his succesor-to-be if something would happen to him. This consiglieri/capo can be a new character, but in the end he rats on him and steps to the Feds, leading the definite destruction of Vincent Corleone. He goes into prison short after Michael’s Death (inaccurate! Gotti went in 92), because the opening scene of the film would be Vincent at Mike’s funeral.

In the years from Mary’s death (“Don Vincenzo”) till the killing of the boss-of-bosses, Vincent runs the Family on a very brutal way (so there’d be something to trial about later on, in the late eighties). This period, 1980-1984, is only to be referred in the modern story.
Vincent also get’s in love with the media during all of his trials, acting like the people’s hero.

Remember this entire story would be parallel to the old story. The destruction of Vincent would be parallel to the rise of Vito and Sonny.

Vincent has no son, nor does he find out Mary was carrying his baby. I think that’s too easy. In fact, the loss of Mary had made Vincent the man he became as a Don: a bittered man, no longer ANY interest in females (which used to be different in the past;) ), and a realtime gangster, taking us GF viewers back to the pre-GF3 Mike, mainly interest in (world-)dominating-business, and destroying his enemies.

I think in the old story crucial moments have to be: Castellamarese War, start of LCN with 5 Families (and sort out once and for all the number of families in the movie), Vito’s shooting, and after that Sonny taking revenge and making his bones.

Not too much about Roth, Ola and Greene. If they were so important to Vito in that period, why weren’t they there then on Connie’s wedding, why wasn’t Roth on the Five-Families meeting in the 1950’s? We saw Greene in GF1 so his appearance would be more logical.

Luca Brasi is in for the action, for the blood, but other characters we ‘suddenly’ see in GF2 or who are not so important in GF1 shouldn’t have big parts either. So no leading roles for Paulie Gatto, Pentangeli, Cicci, the Rosato’s, Geary, Carlo. Instead the story should focus on Vito, Clemenza and Tessio.

Create some new characters, the bosses of the families prior to Barzini, Tattaglia, Cuneo and Stracci. (I made up some names: Christophe Ferrano, Gaetano “Tom” DiGiorgio, Paulie Gagliese and Maranzala’s sidekick Tommy DeBono. These are the names made up by Ricardo: Cuneo, Tattaglia, Stracci, Tessio (!) and Isabella)

Also, did Vito Corleone ‘get’ a Family from Maranzano? Maranzano should be called Maranzala like he is in GF2. Ricardo named Joe Masseria “Maresia” which is okay.

Now to include a pre-Vito story, so a Antonio Andolini story (because some people would like this) on Sicily, some sort of flashback by middle-aged Vito (30’s) would show the relationship between Ciccio and Antonio. Maybe this can be done the same way the opening scene from GF2 was done. Like a Ciccio relative comes to NY in the 30’s to take revenge on Vito, and before or after doing so (failing of course), we would cut to a short Antonio Andolini story the same way as GF2 (text: Antonio Andolini was a etcetera on Sicily in the 1880’s etc.)

Anything from the 40’s and 50’s is out, I think. That is wat the first two movies were about. (a mini-series about Clemenza, Rosato and Pentangeli set in the mid-50’s is a nice alternative, but not much on them in GF4).

A 60’s story would be difficult. This is of course an imaginary script, not intended really to be filmed. But it’s for the fourth movie, so everything not yet shown can be shown. A 60’s story would be interesting to write about, but not in a movie-way. The 30’s Corleone rise has already been written about (the novel) and can be visualized. See my point? We can think up many things in the 60’s, we can not from the 30’s, but would it be necesarry to be seen in a Sonny/Vincent story? Nothing on Lucy, Segal, Fredo, Deanna or someone here therefor.

A 70’s story is out for the same reasons. Basically this is the era of upcoming Joey Zasa, and soldier/private drugdealer Vincent. Off course there’s a lot to make up here, but it wouldn’t contribute to the saga, except for Tom Hagen’s death. There isn’t a lot of info in GF3 about this period (like the Family heads prior to the ones killed in Atlantic City by Zasa).

SUMMARIZED

A 30’s story with the Castellamarese war, the Irish mobwar, the rise of the Corleone Family because of these events, the rise of Genco’s Olive Oil Import Company, and the introducting of gangster Sonny. In the end Tattaglia, Stracci and Cuneo are introduced, so are Theresa and Sandra, maybe Lucy, and the move of the family to Long Island would be some sort of ‘happy end’ to this part of the movie. Within this 30’s story a flashback to Antonio Andolini.

Murders in this part:
-Don Ciccio kills Antonio Andolini
-a Ciccio relative comes to NY to avenge Ciccio’s death (1927 by Vito) and tries to kill Vito. This effort failes and the relative gets his punishment by Pentangeli (the only appearance Frankie makes in this movie)
-Luca Brasi kills an Irish lady and her just-born-baby
-Luca Brasi kills Buster McGurn, and kills the Irish gangster who shot Vito
-Tessio has a restaurant meeting with Maresia, who is shot by four men (among them Moe Greene) when Sal goes to the bathroom (realtime: Luciano goes to the washroom, he and another Masseria capo (Genovese) ordered the killing, that was done by Genovese, Siegel, Adonis & Anastasia)
-Maranzala is killed on the order of Vito Corleone (realtime: Maranzano killed by 4 MurderInc guys dressed up as policemen, on the order of Luciano and Genovese). Along with Maranzala in the same period 40 of his men, including his most important capo’s and his sidekick, DeBono, get whacked. Before shot to death by the hitmen, Maranzala’s stabbed by Tattaglia.
DeBono’s successor is Tattaglia, who sided with Maranzala in Maresia’s death (his old boss), but stabbed Maranzala on the order of Vito Corleone.
-Ferrano, Gagliese are heads killed by rivaling gangs (not necessary Corleone’s), Gagliese by DeBono.
-Gagliese’s succesor Carachi is killed as well, by Tattaglia.
Ferrano’s successor is Stracci. Gagliese’s successor after Carachi is Barzini. DeBono’s successor is Phil Tattaglia, an old Maranzala capo therefore, and a lifetime enemy of Vito Corleone.
-(Ricardo’s scirpt): Luca Brasi kills Ralph Capone
-DiGiorgio dies of old age, and his underboss, Carmine Cuneo takes over in the end.
-also dying of natural causes: Gianni Rizzi, Rafilo Valenti,

A 80’s story with Vincent fighting the current boss-of-bosses, helped by his brother Santino JR, drugdealing with Bolivian, Columbian en Peruvian cokeheads, and all of this with Mike on the background, living in Sicily with Connie and Anthony.
Vincent offs the boss-of-bosses, to become for a short period the new Absolute Don. In the end, when he’s looking to a full scale world gangster war with Yakuza, Russian mob, Mexican gangs and Columbian drug cartels (and one or two LCN heads trying to get a piece of the action), and we’re nearing an ending with a lot of murders, like the other movies, Vincent ends up in prison

Murders in this story:
-DiCanio is killed on the order of Vincent

end scene:
-Masahiro Tanasuke (Yakuza boss), Alex Rodrigo Cuesta (Colombian boss), James Galoppi (Florida boss), Paulo Cavanio (Cuneo-boss), Carlo Pochettino (Parisi-boss), Alexandre Golubnev (Russian mob-boss,)

The Characters
Now the important characters from the old story:
Vito Corleone (30-45)
Sonny Corleone (10-25)
Tom Hagen (10-25)
Peter Clemenza
Sal Tessio
Genco Abbandano
Salvatore Maranzala (the boss of bosses of LCN)
Giuseppe Maresia
Luca Brasi
Moe Greene

The first five Don’s (Ferrano, DiGiorgio, Gagliese, DeBono and Corleone/Tessio)

Less important:
Hyman Rothstein
Maybe some of the later Dons (I’d say Cuneo or Stracci, Tattaglia may have a bigger part, as does his son Bruno. Barzini shouldn’t be in it, he is too important in GF1)
At the end the introducting of Nevadian Carlo Rizzi
Ciccio relative
Johnny Fontane+Nino Valenti
Michael Corleone and classmate Paulie Gatto
DEFINITELY NOT CARLO!

Small parts/references:
Pentangeli
Tommasino
Altobello
Johnny Ola
Theresa (Tom’s girl)
Sandra (Sonny’s girl)
Connie
Lucy (Connie’s friend)
Fredo

New story Important characters:
Vincent Corleone
Paul DiCanio
Vincent’s main capo who becomes the traitor (Victor Rizzi!)

I was thinking of Vincent to get his own Luca Brasi/Rocco Lampone/Al Neri, and his name: Santino JR. I never thought he would leave his father’s death the way it was. He is a tempered guy too, failing to make his own bones in the Tampa mob, where he lived with his sisters and his mother since the late 1950’s. He’s in his fourties now. When he gets in trouble, Vincent here’s about it and makes him his capo.

Also Connie’s son, Victor Rizzi, has a criminal past, he could get involved.

Hyman Roth-like characters should include the Colombian drug-dealer partners.
Enemies should include other left LCN-members, Yakuza members and some South-American drug dealers.

Less important characters:
Anthony Corleone
Connie
Mary (flashback scenes, why the heck not?)
Michael, very little part
Al Neri
BJ
Domenic Abbandando
Andrew Hagen (miniscule part)

Mentioned:
Johnny Fontane (his death)
Joey Zasa (when Vincent talks about His bones )

A COSA NOSTRA OVERVIEW
Maresia and Maranzala fight over absolute power.

With Maranzala are: Cuneo, DeBono, Corleone, Isabella (DiGiorgio), Fierra (Ferrano)
With Maresia are: Tattaglia, Capone, Gagliese

1930-31: Castellamarese War between Maresia crew & Maranzala crew. When Maresia is shot, Maranzala founds the LCN structure. The five heads are:
Corleone, Ferrano (Stracci), DiGiorgio (Cuneo), DeBono, Gagliese (Barzini). He’s the capo di tutti capi.
1931: Maranzala gets whacked, no-longer a upperboss, but Vito Corleone’s is seen as the big boss (so Vito Corleone to me is like a Lucky Luciano character in that period, not forgetting about Gambino and Genovese though).

My five families in the 30’s: Corleone, Ferrano, DiGiorgio, Gagliese, DeBono
Ricardo’s five families in the 30’s: Tessio, Isabella, Stracci, C.Cuneo, Tattaglia

This I made up:
The five families in the 40’s: Corleone, Tattaglia, Barzini, C.Cuneo, Stracci

Other don’s at the 1947/48/49 meeting (From the novel): Carlo Tramonti (Don of the Southern cities, first bigtime Havana-investor), Joseph Zaluchi (Detroit Don), Anthony Molinari (San Fransisco Don/Nevada), Frank Falcone (LA Don), Domenick Panza (Boston Don), Vincent Forlenza (Cleveland Don)
The five families in the 50’s: Clemenza/Pentangeli, Rosato, Rossi, Leo Cuneo, Parisi
The five families in the 60’s: Cicci, Volpe, Rossi, Leo Cuneo, Parisi
The five families in the 70’s: Zasa, Volpe, Romano, Leo Cuneo, Parisi
The five families in the 80’s: Mancini(Corleone), DiCanio (Tattaglia), Massaro (Barzini), Cavanio (Cuneo), Pochettino (Parisi)

FAMILY AFFAIRS
In the old story, the family-story has to be about Sonny being an unhandling kid to Vito and Carmella, Michael being rebelious, Connie being Vito’s little girl sweetheart and Fredo being the sidekick. Zoom in on this family relationships, which we’ve seen a bit in the 1941 Surprise Party scene. Also, Tom Hagen being a non-sicilian relative and how it affects him.

In the modern story, the evaluation of the love between Michael, Vincent and Anthony. Anthony moved in with Mike in the Tomassino compound on Sicily in 1984, so he lived near by the opera house. He learned to love and forgive his father in the 80’s and 90’s. Because Vincent started narcotics and illegal businesses again, Michael wants less and less to do with him, and Vincent is a little frustrated about it. When his brother Santino JR joins him, some emotional “brotherfeelings” arise. Also, when Victor Rizzi enters the picture, the three men (in their thirties now) have some arguments about their fathers’ past. When Vincent and Victor visit Anthony and Mike on Sicily, Victor acts strange. He’s sitting there with the murderer of his father! In the end he brakes emotionally and Michael has a chance to make up for something for once in his life, and he comforts Victor as far as possible.

I’m still worried about Kay, tho. Connie lived quietly with Anthony and Michael on Sicily. Kay never visits them, Anthony comes to NH to see his mother. But I think, as an ode to the old movies and the novel, some brief chemistry between Mike and Kay, who have set peace in GF3, must be in it somewhere.

I have thought al lot about Connie’s influence in Vincent’s business, but I don’t think she would be in it much. Neither does Anthony. First I thought a clash between Vincent and Anthony as a fight over control of the Family would be cool, you know, if Anthony changed to ‘his fate’, like his father has. But this is too unreal, Tony is just as sad after losing his sister as his father is. Mike, Tony, Connie, Kay, none of them have any bad characteristics in GF, they are all peacefull yet somber persons now.

As for the Hagen’s... well, Andrew should get a few lines in the funeral scene, when the entire family (all living ones at least) appear like in the GF3 opening party, but only a few really speak. The other Hagen’s should have only a part as extra. I’m sorry.

About Tom Hagen’s business when Sonny grew up. Genco was Vito’s consiglieri, Sonny became a wiseguy, a killer...what was Tom doing? I know he didn’t really like Connie and Fredo, and Michael didn’t like his family, so who was Tom with? Because of this thought I had to give Tom Hagen just a small part in the old story.

I think I’ve basically covered everyone here.

Back to the mafia story. The Castellamerese war and the killings of Maresia and Maranzala can/should be in it, but it’s impossible to be accurate to the ones who killed ‘em and who was with who after that, who joined which family, which alliance... We cannot say: thát character is Profaci, thát one is young Gambino, thát one is Luciano... I mean, who would be who? Let’s just use these events (a war, two boss-killings and a mass-execution) and then make up ourselves who was on what side etc.

THIS BASICALLY IS ALL MATERIAL I HAVE GOT NOW.

acts 5 & 8 are almost done, I have completed act 6 and I'm currently working on all the other acts.

If someone feels the urge to responde, or if they want to help me with info about the 1936 Irish mob war Ricardo wanted in his script (as well as if you have any suggestions/idea's), please post it here.
Thank you

Oh everything is copyrighted (yeah right! )