I actually would propose the re-write, or rather re-working of PART III, because I feel the way it is now blocks the creaton of any new stories. I always thought that PART III retitled THE TRAGEDY OF MICHAEL CORLEONE, and having some changes that would accomodate the film better (more Vincent-screentime-development, Tom Hagen, more Luchesi, real reason of Ms. Hamilton's existance), gives the freedom to create a future sequels-prequels without the obligation of using the GODFATHER title of thematic, as the real Godfather tale was in the first two films. After the re-write, I plan on making my own preguel to THE GODFATHER, called THE RISE OF CRIME, showing Vito following Don Ciccio's death and the shaping of his empire till a few years before the first Godfather film. Then, it will be followed by a sequel to THE TRAGEDY OF MICHAEL CORLEONE, called THE FALL OF CRIME, focusing on the modern world and the death of Vito's empire and Francis returning to Sicily to restart his life, exactly 100 years after Vito left it.

As I said, one reason to polish PART III is to have Vincent Mancini be developed better, have his name change and thus be an almost entirely different character, thats serves its purpose to the script in the same manner. TRo iprove on him and enstranghtening his portrayal, sharping a more obvious metamorphosis throughout the film. In fact I suggest we replace him, but not adapt a different character. Just change name and inheritage. So, instead of Sonny's bastard boy, I think that co-protagonist has to be none other than...

Francis Rizzi (Michael cut off because of his hatred towards Michael). His character wouldn't be too different. The point however for this dramatic to say change, is the fact that, like in the actual PART III, he would evolve from a Sonny to a Vito. Garcia once said that Vincent was a combination of all the family members (having Vito's quiteness, Sonny's temper, Fredo's warmth and Michael's methodology) and thus why he was the best to follow Michael as Don. My idea is based on that, although with a small variation.

To my mind, none of Vito's sons were exactly like him. I always though that, even though all the children had chracteristics of their own, each of the male boys had one specific trademark that came from Vito. For instance, Michael inherited his intelligence and resourcefullness, something that is clearly shown in PART II, while Sonny inherited (or rather, took altogether) the anger that Vito was never able to expose, having seen the most effective result of anger exposure (his brother Paolo's death), and Fredo inherited Vito's obvious warmth and decency, something that made him lovable aside from being respected.

Now I believe, that if Michael Francis Rizzi (still played by Andy Garcia) could be used in Vincent Mancini's place, his transformation from a raw animal to the new Don would be more realistic, because being the son of a female Corleone, all of Vito's characteristics (that were each devided to the three boys) could result in Vito's effective re-birth (I know it sounds ridiculous, but hear me out).

At the beggining, he would be a Sonny. Later on the film, he would a Fredo, while loosening his Sonny temper due to many events in the film, would reach his Michael when dealing Luchesi himself, and when he becomes the Don, he eventually is a new Don Vito. I know that thats PART III actually presented us, but with the redux of the script it could be more obvious. Plus, it adds a certain point of irony by showing the son of a traitor (Carlo Rizzi) and of a female Corleone, becoming the new Don instead of Michael's son, who at PART II was an obvious candidate for the place. Plus, Michael is his GODFATHER, as he baptised him in PART I during the ritualistic murders of the Heads of the Five Families, which adds to the thematic of the passing to the new Don (as with Vito in PART II, who, after killing Fanucci, holded Michael on his arms, transmiting an obvious message to the audience).

Here's the idea: Ever since PART II, Michael Francis Rizzi has a fueled hatred towards Michael after learning from his brother Victor that he killed his father. So he joined his brother to the world of crime and became the leader of his own gang at the age of 18. At his 19, his brother Victor is killed in what seems to be an accident , but Francis knows it can't be an accident (later on, it was Zaza, as Victor killed his capo-regime). Michael, decinding that his godson took a very wrong way, advices him to finish school and desolve from crime, but refuses. Francis (he doesn't like to be called Michael as he is reminded of the "monster") is then send to Joey Zaza, with whom he has a good relationship at first. However, an event happens that changes his mind of both Zaza and Michael. He soon learns that his father Carlo betrayed his uncle Sonny to the Barzini family and hit off his mother very often when she was pregnant with him. How? Because he heard Zaza refer of him as a "traitor's son". He specifically heard the true story when Zaza was speaking with Gluello (Don Luchesi's messenger, later to be known) about betraying Michael and calling him a shit. By hearing what he heard (didn't got to know much), his opinion on Michael changed drastically and decides to go to the party to tell Michael. Later on, its more or less the same Vincent, except that he doesn't tell Michael that Zaza sent his people to his apartment. That would make him more appealing in my mind.

Anyways, the above are the most drastical of changes. Of course, I would also expand on Ms Hamilton who would constantly appear as the reporter who handles the story and wants to know what is Michael Corleone up to and eventually, flies in Sicily to find out the truth with the mysterious Immobiliaire. But her story doesn't end here. While she did sleep with Vincent (now Francis) to get more information for the Corleone Family, she actually feels attracted to him and continuously falls for him, and Francis feels attracted to her (doesn't love her like Mary, though) and thus a love triangle is created between them. I do this so in a future Corleone sequel Hamiton could be the wife.

Anyways, these are some of my ideas. I'll watch PART III again and I will come up with a summary of thoughts.

The higher up you go, the crookeder it becomes..