I've mentioned this in another thread...a couple of years ago, on St. Joseph's Day (March 19th) at a dinner at one of the neighborhood Italian social clubs, I sat at a table with Toni Giancana, the Mafia Princess. She was the guest (and long time friend) of the women with whom we were sharing the table.

Are any of the Chicago posters familiar with Fresh Meadows Golf Course? It's a public golf course on Cermak Road/22nd Street in the western suburbs? The wiseguys that could golf often played there.

Sam Giancana once made my dad buy a pair of golf shoes in their pro shop. Purely by coincidence, they happened to be in the pro shop at the same time. My dad had just finished and Sam was just arriving. And my dad says he wanted to be ANYWHERE but in that pro shop at that moment. Sam was a loose cannon, to say the least. My dad would always say, "I was lucky to get out of there with just a pair of golf shoes..."

Also, my signature at the bottom of my posts came from another great story from my dad about a long-ago encounter with someone who eventually achieved the same rank as Momo. But it's too long and involved to write about it. Someday, and that day may never come, we may cross paths and you can ask me in person to tell it.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"