Does anyone know if John Gotti had a Catholic funeral?

I seem to recall from watching the news that a lot of people lined the streets during his funeral procession. The media reported a big hoopla: people crying and throwing flowers, wanting to say goodbye as if he were Elvis or something. But does that actually mean he was popular with the average (i.e., non-mafia) person? Wouldn't people simply be curious about what a mob funeral looked like, so they would come out to catch a glimpse?

And as for Gotti never killing anyone, is the story about his young son being killed in a car accident (where the at-fault driver was his next door neighbour, of all people) true? And is it true that Gotti killed the neighbour?

I also read that Gotti (I think it was him) was at a restaurant where he saw Marlon Brando and Matthew Brodderick (I believe), who were then filming the movie The Freshman. He asked that they come over to his table so he could meet them. I wonder what would have happened if they declined?

So how much of the above is true and how much is legend, and did he manipulate the media to build up his own legend?