Quote:
Plaw inquires:
Do you remember when "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers won the championship, beating Pat O'Conner at Chicago's Cominsky Park in front of about 40,000 fans? Around 1961-62 or so.

And do you know what the term "Kayfabe" Means? (I know; I was wondering if you do)
I was too young to remember that particular Comiskey Park event. I started watching the AWA on Bob Luce Wrestling when I was in grammar school around 1970. When I first tuned-in, they were still buzzing about a recent Comiskey Park show where the main event was a tag-team match pitting Maurice and Mad Dog Vachon against Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher. I believe the highlight of the bout was that Mad Dog Vachon somehow got thrown out of the cage OVER THE TOP. Keep in mind this is 1970 and they're taking a bump like this!

The first big outdoor show that I remember being promoted was in the early '70's at Soldier Field. The main event was a tag-team cage match featuring Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher against the Blackjacks, Lanza and Mulligan, managed by "Pretty Boy" Bobby Heenhan. Special referee for the match was boxer Jersey Joe Wolcott.

It was a bloodbath. Talk about "painting houses"...everybody got "wet" in that bout!

I googled for the meaning of "kayfabe" when I first found that web site a few years ago. I had heard the term before I found the web site, and I always thought it was a perversion of pig-latin for the word "fake." After googling, I saw a bunch of different definitions, but I guess the commonly accepted definition has to do with staying in character, keeping up with the illusion that it's real...and it may have been derived from a carnival term...though I can't say that I'd know how to use it in a sentence!

What's the definition that you have, plaw?

I don't mind that McMahon made pro wrestling what it is today...but somehow, somewhere, it lost its entertainment value for me. I've been to some shows run by smaller promoters with less experienced wrestlers (those grammar school and high school gymnasium events) and I get a bigger kick out of that than I do from watching the WWF/WWE on TV.

tony b.

"Kid, these are my f**kin' work clothes."
"You look good in them golf shoes. You should buy 'em"