Originally posted by mr. soprano:
but i pose this one question: tom was pretty good guy in part one, and he seemed like a devoted husband. do you think that the freedoms of nevada led him to to cheat?
In the original script/screenplay, Tom was having an on-going affair with Sandra, Sonny's widow.
This scene is shortly after Michael asks Tom to leave when Johnny Ola arrives at the boat house, (Tom goes to Sandra's house) and just prior to Michael's meeting with Senator (I intend to squeeze you) Geary ....

HAGEN
Just now when Johnny Ola showed up, he asked me to leave them alone. Ola is Hyman Roth's Sicilian contact. I was on the inside of ten, twenty meetings with him. But today Mike asked me to leave, like an outsider.

SANDRA
Talk to him. Tell him how you feel.

HAGEN
It's as though he blames me for the ground the family lost when I was Consigliere to Sonny.

Sandra pulls Hagen to her, and kisses him passionately on the mouth.

HAGEN
I love Michael, I want to help him, be close to him. I don't want to end up a third string lawyer making property settlements for the hotels.

Sandra knows he needs her. Slowly she begins to undress.

SANDRA
We have a little time now.

Napalm, boy -- nothing else in the world smells like that -- I love the smell of napalm in the morning -- it smells like ... victory... (Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, 9th Air Cavalry / 1st Cavalry Div - Sept 1969, North Vietnamese Village on Nung River)