Quote:
The ending of Once Upon a Time in America is amazing, because it brings us back full-circle to the beginning, which is actually the middle. The degree of ambiguity contained in the final shot is astonishing, because it provides a plethora of possible interpretations. With a story like this, it's far more intriguing and satisfying than almost any other ending imaginable. Because we've entered Noodles' world and story through the portal of his mind, there's no telling what this last shot means. Is the "future" portion of the narrative a construct of his imagination? An act of penance (loss of money, exile, etc.) followed by resolution and redemption and the undoing of his culpability in the death of Max? Is it his imagined future... the one he hopes to live through? Or is that last shot simply indicative of the moment when the drug kicks in and pulls him out of the world he has created, giving him relief and peace, however false? Or is it the moment when he realizes that--with Max and the others dead--he is finally free of that life, and a (presumably) wealthy free man, to boot? This is, after all, a shot that would precede his discovery of the empty suitcase in the locker. Or is he merely smiling at the distorted Noodles that he sees in the mirror (who looks, by the way, a heck of a lot like the "aging" Noodles because of that distortion)? I have no idea which--if any--of these interpretations applies to Leone's intent. I like to think it amused him to boggle the minds of his audience, because despite the fact that we've just been on a tour of the life of Noodles, he's still an enigma at the end... as all people outside of ourselves must necessarily be. This is the sort of ending that makes you want to sit through the entire movie again in hopes of finding the "answer." But there is no answer to be had. Just questions and speculations, which swim about and nag you if you let them. This was my third viewing of the film, and I still don't have the foggiest idea how to read it beyond Leone's intent to intrigue. It's almost as if he mocks the very notion of comprehending humanity, or conveying comprehension through a neatly-resolved story on film. Which is just fine with me, because I don't disagree with that sentiment at all.
Taken from http://www.aboutfilm.com/movies/o/onceamerica.htm

Chris: "He could be out there stalking us right now..." -Paulie: "With what...his cock!

Tony Soprano : You're looking good. Looking better.
Junior Soprano: Tony, if you're gonna lie to me, tell me there's a broad in the car waiting to tongue my balls.
Tony Soprano : Hey, you want that, it's a phone call away.