Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
Maybe you can help me with this question then apple:

In GF1 (I know its not in timeline but it confuses me) In a deleted scene Sonny is talking to Tessio and Tom (I think) when Michael is in the room and Sonny says whos head do we blow off, Clemenza or Paulie? So I take that as him suspecting Clemenza as one of them. Yet right after Vito was shot, Sonny goes to the door with the gun when Clemenza knocks but when Clemenza says "its me" Sonny puts the gun away....why is that?
Don Michael,

When Vito is first shot, Sonny probably did not know that Paulie had called in sick, so therefore at the moment he did not suspect Clemenza. But in all likelyhood, later on when Sonny did find out that Paulie had called in sick and realizing that Paulie was brought into the family by Clemenza, they had to suspenct that Clemenza may have been in on the hit. That is why in that deleted scene Clemenza is sitting OUTSIDE the office when Sonny and Tessio are meeting. But at the point of the meeting when Michael walks into the office, they now know that Clemenza had nothing to do with it because of thier man inside the phone company. Michael does not know this yet. The reason that Sonny asks that question is to try and get Michael rattled for his wanting to sit in the meeting. Sonny knew that the Don never wanted Mike mixed up in the business, so he tried to discourage Michael from sitting in by talking about blowing heads off. But at the same time Michael shows his cunningness for business and his ability to analyze the situation by giving the right answer to Sonny. Michael is not phased and is not shaken by the thought of having to decide who needed to be killed and Sonny realizes this with Mike's answer.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.