My favorite and what I think is his best work of his early films is in "A Streetcar Named Desire" as Stanley Kowalski. The greatest acting performance ever in film. The most raw, realistic, yet sensitive and intense performance.

Ebert pointed out a little detail of Brando, notice when Stanley is telling Stella about Blanche's involvement w/ a student...while he is bad-mouthing Stella's sister...he still shows his gentle side and picks a lint ball off of her sweater and throws it to the side.

I love his attention to detail at Blanche's b-day dinner. Where Stanley smashes and throws the plate...while going off at the women, he is still chewing his chicken. And, in a close up, you can see the chicken bits on his lips while speaking. Fabulou!

It was the first performance of its kind in film. It brought Method acting to the forefront. The one that inspired and paved the way for De Niro, Pacino, etc.

Brando was brilliant in "On the Waterfront," "the Men", "Viva Zapata," and "Julius Caesar." His role as Marc Anthony was the hardest for him.

-A Streetcar Named Desire-

Stanley: You want a shot? (offers liquor)
Blanche: No, I rarely touch it.
Stanley: There's some people that rarely touch it, but it touches them often.