Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
[QUOTE]...You known very well that any disagreements that members may have during debates, especialy political ones, NEVER carries over to our get togethers or gets in the way of friendships. ...
I really wasn't referring to the political debates, nor was I referring to the 'in-person' get-togethers last year in NJ. Of course I enjoyed them, and I enjoyed the company as well. It was great to meet everyone. Of course none of the online 'debates' spilled over into the into the dinners. But personally, for me...I didn't feel they 'strengthened' my friendship or feelings toward anyone inparticular nor theirs toward me. (Although it was really nice to get that first 'hello' hug from JGeoff ) And I don't think it would've if I had been able to make more of the gatherings. Do you? Would've been fun and nice to see everyone again, of course...but I can't honestly say it would've solidified or enhanced friendships.

If people are meant to be really, true friends like you & plaw were, then that's what's going to happen. It transends any difference of opinion. If they're not, then people can get together all they want both on & offline and it isn't going to make a difference in the long term.

Speaking of which...I've come to believe it was better that I was NOT able to attend that BB dinner last June. With it being Turnbull's farewell before moving away, and as it (sadly) turns out Plawrence's last, I think there is a level of emotion and memories connected to that dinner that only a few BB members were meant to share. That's just my personal opinion.

Anyway, back to the 'virtual friends' topic. I was more referring to that 'other' dimension of cyber-relationships. They can get quite intense...both in positive and negative ways.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON