Like many of you, although I've been preparing myself for this for the better part of the last year, I'm still stunned that he's gone. Since I found out yesterday, I've been in kind of a daze.

I guess I just miss my friend.

I didn't get the pleasure of meeting Paul (I wish I had), but I've gotten to know him through PMs, IMs and one phone conversation during the dinner at Shula's (Chicago convention). I can still remember the start of the call:

Plaw (in his pretty thick NY/NJ accent): "Who's this?"
Me (not knowing who it was I was talking to): "Ummmm... It's DB."
Plaw: "OHHHHHHH!!!! DB!!!! My Most Worthy Adversary..."

Most Worthy Adversary... MWA for short... That was Plaw's nickname for me in the fantasy sports threads. It was his way of drawing me into the competition, because he knew I was just as competitive as he was although I wasn't as overt about it . DMC's right - Plaw would always give himself the best odds of winning any game and place me just below him, just to make sure I was paying attention. I never did call Plaw "MWA" back. I just felt it wasn't right to single anybody out. But he knew. Wherever I was in the standings, he knew I was always looking to see where he was. The Sports threads will never be the same.

In his last lengthy PM to me, he described to me the joy he gets from our message board - the friends he met, the discussions he's had. From reading all the responses since yesterday, Plaw has touched a lot of people on this board - and each one of us thought we were the only one! That is the sign of a truly great man. He's left lasting imprints on our hearts and we will truly miss him.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, especially his son and partner. May their (and our) difficult times ahead be comforted by the fact that he's at peace and without pain. May we remember the great times we shared with him. I am truly grateful for my opportunity to meet him.

God bless you, Plaw.