Quote:
Originally posted by SC:
I was there with my brother-in-law to see the last fight at the "old" Garden (Ismael Laguna vs. Frankie Narvaez). Laguna won in a unanimous decision but many of Narvaez's fans didn't like the call and started a riot.
I remember Laguna, but not the other guy.

He was a pretty good lightweight with some knockout power, right?

I think I once told the story in another thread abut how I stood on line all day and thru a cold night at MSG in December or January, to buy tickets for the first Ali-Frazier fight.

My picture was on the front page of the NY Times sports section the next morning, but you couldn't tell it was me because I had one of those wool masks on that covers the whole face along with a hat, and the collar of my Swedish Army Officer's Coat (remember those?) pulled all the way up.

I got two tickets at ringside for $100 each, and the day of the fight my friend and I got to the Garden about 2:00 in the afternoon and started wheeling and dealing tickets.

We sold the first two for a profit, bought and sold some more, and wound up seeing the fight from some $75 seats which were also great, and making a couple of hundred bucks each, besides.

I only saw one other fight "live" at the old Garden, though.

Because of the "kinship" I felt for Floyd Patterson after watching him train so often, I was there on February 1, 1965, when he took an impressive 12 round decision from George Chuvalo in a really good fight.

It was a 12-rounder because it was an "elimination" bout to see who got a mandatory title shot with Cassius Clay, and it led to the first fight between the two later in the year.

I remember sitting in the green seats, and paying about $7 or $8 for a ticket.

"Difficult....not impossible"