I agree that some of the choices listed in the poll don't deserve to be there. Floyd Patterson, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis and Jake LaMotta are laughable considering the company of the others.

Willie Pep and Henry Armstrong should have been included in their places.

Now for the best:

Joe Louis had his "bum-of-the-month" opponents but he fought some quality names, too (Max Baer, Max Schmeling, Billy Conn, Jim Braddock). I rule him out, though, since most of his career was spent against "no-names".

Rocky Marciano, although maybe the hardest hitting fighter ever, gets ruled out for the same reason. Sure, he was undefeated (and thats something to consider) and sure, he fought some quality opponents (Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott Ezzard Charles) but like Louis he fought mostly "no-names".

Sugar Ray Robinson was the best pound for pound fighter and he had the most "best" opponents. He had speed, cunning and surprising power (over 50% of his wins were KO's).

Muhammad Ali had everything to give him the title (as best ever). Great opponents, great speed, great power. I give him a slight edge over Robinson.