Originally posted by plawrence:
Now that you mention it, I remember that bit of dialogue.

But since the third film was made more than 15 years after the first two, let's pretend that I'm asking the question in, oh, 1988 or so, and GF III was never made.
An interesting question, pl--and one that hasn't been asked before (miracles never cease!)
I'm guessing that Michael did tell Kay. In that scene in New Hampshire, Michael admitted that he'd been back from Sicily for a year. It's logical that Kay would have asked about what he did in Sicily--and what brought him back. It'd be in Michael's interest to be straight with Kay. Michael, very calculating at that point, would want to win her sympathies: she'd know that a red-blooded lad like Michael wouldn't have been without female companionship for such a long time, but would have been reassured to know that her "rival" was dead. And anyway, a widower gets more sympathy than an errant lover. Also, everyone in the family knew that Michael had been married to Appolonia, so there was no way he could take Kay into his family, live at the Mall, and not worry that someone would spill the beans sooner rather than later.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.