Cash's Final Recordings Set for Release

The final recordings made by country music legend Johnny Cash will be released by his longtime producer and friend Rick Rubin this summer. American V: A Hundred Highways features a dozen tracks, including the final song Cash wrote - "The 309." According to Rubin, Cash felt a sense of urgency to record his final album after his wife June Carter Cash died in May 2003. He recalls, "Once June passed, he had the will to live long enough to record, but that was pretty much all. A day after June passed, he said, 'I need to have something to do every day. Otherwise, there's no real reason for me to be here.'" Rubin kept an engineer and guitarist on standby around the clock so Cash could record when his health permitted. He adds, "It's an amazingly sad album. At times it's hard to get through, but it's really beautiful. It's remarkable to hear an artist of his stature being so vulnerable and open and sounding strong so late in his life. I don't think there's ever been an album like this."

This is great news. I have American IV: The Man Comes Around, and I think it's one of the best recordings ever, certainly one of his best. This sounds like it's going to really be special and I can't wait for it.

Any other fans of Cash here or anyone else anxious to buy this album?

The Doc

And you liar, teller of tall tales: you trample all the Lord's commandments underfoot, you murder, steal, commit adultery, and afterward break into tears, beat your breast, take down your guitar and turn sin into a song. Shrewd devil, you know very well that God pardons singers no matter what they do, because he can simply die for a song.