GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (GangstersInc, Kangaroo Don), 281 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,982
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,710
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,550
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,501
Posts1,062,035
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155541
04/23/06 07:55 PM
04/23/06 07:55 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
We used to stick the Turkish Taffy in the freezer, not the refrigerator. And our favorite was vanilla, too!

We tried chocolate once, but it just wasn't as good.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155543
04/23/06 08:15 PM
04/23/06 08:15 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
I remember playing red rover at school during recess. Anybody play red light green light or duck duck goose?

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155545
04/23/06 08:22 PM
04/23/06 08:22 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
We played red light green light. And of course Simon Says!

I remember watching 'Wonderama' on Sunday's - host Sonny Fox would do an absolutely fantastic Simon Says, where he'd eventually go so fast you could barely keep up!!!

I also vaguely remember duck duck goose...but forget how it was played.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155546
04/23/06 08:46 PM
04/23/06 08:46 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
I remember Sonny Fox - I may have been one of the few who actually could keep up with his "Simon Says".

In the '60s, he used to host a show on Saturday mornings called Just For Fun (2 1/2 hours), then the 4 hour Wonderama on Sundays at 9AM. It was never the same when Bob McAllister took over Wonderama...

Sonny Fox headed west, and became the president of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for a time (I believe).

He is still around, and once in a while has turned up at fancy, black-tie retrospectives. I believe Sandy Becker (the original host of Wonderama) and Fox had a bit of a rivalry between them. Sonny Fox (though I liked him) could be a bit of a stiff; a recent airing (on the Game Show Network) of a couple of old Beat the Clock episodes, where he subbed for host Bud Collyer, proved it!

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155547
04/23/06 08:51 PM
04/23/06 08:51 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I LOVED Wonderama, Apple!! I also remember playing Red Light Green Light. And jumping rope. Lots and lots of jumprope.

Signor V: Just to let you know, PF Flyers are back. You can check out their website. It talks all about the wedge!! P. F. Flyers

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155548
04/23/06 09:03 PM
04/23/06 09:03 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Signor Vitelli:
... It was never the same when Bob McAllister took over [b]Wonderama... [/b]
It did take me a while to get used to Bob McAllister, but eventually he found his way. I think he was a bit softer somehow than Sonny Fox, didn't quite 'grab' you in the way Fox seemed to have. I remember after a while liking his closing song, 'Does Anybody Here Have an Ardvark?' (Everybody here has a right & left ear...but NOBODY here has an ardvark!!)

Funny how these things come back to the memory some 40 years later...!!!

We watched Sandy Becker too...but that was when he had an afternoon show. I personally don't remember him on Wonderama.

I believe both Becker & McAllister are now dead. But I did see Sonny Fox doing a PBS pledge drive a few years back ... he even said, 'Simon Says call in a pledge...'.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155549
04/23/06 11:25 PM
04/23/06 11:25 PM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
My God, SB! PF Flyers have returned?? Amazing...Everything old is new again (to coin a phrase).

Apple, you are quite correct when you said that both Bob McAllister and Sandy Becker (Uncle Fred Scott, too) have passed on. Also, from what I understand, Sandy Becker only hosted Wonderama during its first year (1955?). Here is a very interesting website: Sandy Becker\'s Page

This site should bring back many happy memories. Sad thing is, nearly all of Sandy Becker's television shows are lost. Only outtakes survive (Remember Hambone? Norton Nork? The Big Professor? Dr. Gezundheit? His annual production of A Christmas Carol with puppets?).

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155550
04/24/06 07:00 AM
04/24/06 07:00 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Funny how some people see Sicilians as a different entity from Italians. They have of course a strong local identity, but they are Italians nonetheless. They speak Italian! So if you speak Italian, you are not going to have a single problem, unless you are in some extremely remote village (provided there still is such a place.....) and the only human being you come across is a over80 peasant.... :p

Enjoy your trip, Sicily is magic.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155551
04/24/06 07:13 AM
04/24/06 07:13 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don Jasani Offline
Underboss
Don Jasani  Offline
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lavinia or anyone else knowledgeable on the subject, do you know about the history of all of Italy as far back as you know vis a vis Portugal?

Re: Differences between Italian and Sicillian dialects #155552
04/24/06 09:34 AM
04/24/06 09:34 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Hey there, Signor Vitelli...THANKS for the Sandy Becker stuff, you are darned right it brought back memories!!

I sure did remember HAMBONE and could picture in my mind the drum major costume and silly strutting even before I opened the link...almost brought tears to my eyes to see a photo of him as well as Becker himself.

Holy Cow!!!

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull