Well, I was born in India, but that was really just fate and happenstance. We (My Father, Mother (R.I.P.) God Bless Her Soul and elder Brother) had all been living in the Persian Gulf nation of Kuwait, Kuwait City to be precise. Hence, from 0-4, I lived in Kuwait. At the mature, sophisticated and polished age of 4 :p I moved to Toronto, Canada.

First we lived in Parkway Forest in North York. The area was heavily Iranian, South Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan), with some Eastern Europeans, and blacks and wasps thrown in for good measure. This place used to be a very safe and healthy place in which to live and raise your kids. We lived in Parkway Forest yes, and it today it has degenerated into a not so safe neighbourhood but provided you keep you dignity, self-respect, street smarts and awareness and be somewhat careful you should go back home with all your possessions and your life most certainly in tact. Having said all this, when I was about 13 or 14 we moved to Thornhill. Thornhill is a posh mostly Jewish, with some Iranian Canadians, Chinese Canadians, South Asian-Canadians and Italian Canadians...There are the wasps and Irish as well. Thornhill, nicely reflects the multiculturalism of Toronto in its entirety. I am now 23, and I enjoy living in Thornhill, but I also enjoy visiting the old neighbourhood where I grew up from time to time. I consider myself more a Torontonian than representing Thornhill, or Markham, or York Region or North York or whatever.

Laura, where are you from and what are your roots?