GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (U talkin' da me ??, 1 invisible), 700 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,506
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,531
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,445
Posts1,061,083
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Worst Best Picture #152292
03/21/06 01:59 PM
03/21/06 01:59 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Cameron, or indeed any filmmaker for that matter, has no obligation to teach us a history lesson. That his film is set on Titanic's voyage (and indeed named after the ship) is secondary to the story, which, let's face it, could have been depicted elsewhere.

How anyone could both praise his efforts at "technical detail" and then criticise the film for not showing a real-life story from "that night" is something of a paradox, no?

What are my thoughts on Titanic? I think it's brilliant; hated by many because of its box-office success, loved by others for much the same reasons.

There've been worse Best Pictures, though my interest in Oscar has gradually waned over the years; who, I wonder, is interested in any other film festival awards ceremonies? Cannes? Sundance? Berlin? Venice?

Hmm...

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Worst Best Picture #152293
03/21/06 03:26 PM
03/21/06 03:26 PM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline OP
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline OP
Underboss
I kind of lost interest in independent film festivals when I saw all the awards the one festival had given Barton Fink, which I thought was an average film.

Yes, a little quick to judge, but thats what did it for me.

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Worst Best Picture #152294
03/21/06 03:28 PM
03/21/06 03:28 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

As for me, I was just referring to your reference of not knowing what romance is for not liking Titanic.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Worst Best Picture #152295
03/21/06 05:13 PM
03/21/06 05:13 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
To the ones who don't like Titanic.

I'm so sorry for you: apparently you haven't got a clue what the word "romantic" means
Whatever. You apparently don't if you truly think Titanic is the standard bearer for romance.

'Love defating death?' Jack dies!

The relationship would've never happened if you look at it realistically. Rich, engaged woman falls in love with poor drifter? Uh, no.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Worst Best Picture #152296
03/21/06 05:27 PM
03/21/06 05:27 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andrew:
[quote]Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
[b] To the ones who don't like Titanic.

I'm so sorry for you: apparently you haven't got a clue what the word "romantic" means
The relationship would've never happened if you look at it realistically. Rich, engaged woman falls in love with poor drifter? Uh, no. [/b][/quote]I dusagree, though I still think it has a poor impact.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Worst Best Picture #152297
03/21/06 05:47 PM
03/21/06 05:47 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by MistaMista Tom Hagen:
I kind of lost interest in independent film festivals when I saw all the awards the one festival had given Barton Fink, which I thought was an average film.

Yes, a little quick to judge, but thats what did it for me.
So how come you're still interested in the most unjust awards ceremony in the film industry?

Emphasis on industry.

Re: Worst Best Picture #152298
03/21/06 06:45 PM
03/21/06 06:45 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Good point

probably publicity reasons, and just all the clout that goes along with winning an Oscar. Plus the fact that they're not always wrong; Godfather, Godfather Pt II, American Beauty, etc.

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Worst Best Picture #152299
03/21/06 06:56 PM
03/21/06 06:56 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
Cameron, or indeed any filmmaker for that matter, has no obligation to teach us a history lesson. That his film is set on Titanic's voyage (and indeed named after the ship) is secondary to the story, which, let's face it, could have been depicted elsewhere....
I agree with all of that. However, the film was named after the doomed ocean liner, and it's that story that initially brought people in. It's unfortunate that the fictional story of Jack & Rose did not play a secondary role to the tragedy, instead of the other way around.

And again...there are many 'true' stories of love and courage that happened that night. It's a shame that Cameron didn't research and elaborate on one of those, instead of feeling the need to create that nonsense. Did we really need the sex in the car? Did we really need Jack being framed and handcuffed to a desk and left to drown, only to be saved by Rose in one of the dumbest, most unrealistic scenes I've ever seen? I remember really losing it when the fiance of Rose (evil rich guy, of course) began shooting at Jack. And again when Rose hid from the guy next morning on the Carpathia.

What bullshit. What trash. What a shame.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Worst Best Picture #152300
03/21/06 07:20 PM
03/21/06 07:20 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Actually, I liked Titanic. I don't know if I'd consider it worthy of an Oscar, but I did enjoy it. I think that Cameron did include several "true" characters, and the research on the ship, getting all those details right, was an outstanding job.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Worst Best Picture #152301
03/21/06 08:05 PM
03/21/06 08:05 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
... I think that Cameron did include several "true" characters...
Yes, he did. Such as Molly Brown, ship builder Thomas Andrews, and of course Captain Smith & the crew. And Cameron's attention to detail was outstanding; the only reason in my opinion that it did become Oscar worthy. Still though, the fabricated Jack/Rose story was dominant and that's what stinks.

I have to admit that my being a Titanic buff for the past 30 years has alot to do with my complete disgust with the film. Obviously it was enjoyable to many who are not quite as interested in the tragedy itself.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Worst Best Picture #152302
03/21/06 08:26 PM
03/21/06 08:26 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Apple, If you are a Titanic buff, I suggest a visit to Halifax, Nova Scotia. As you probably know, Halifax was where the survivors were taken and the center of the recovery effort. They have a maritime museum with a very interesting Titanic exhibit. Also, many of those that died when the ship sank are buried there, including one child that was unidentified until recent DNA tests confirmed who he was. We took a tour of the cemetery, and there is a J. Dawson buried there, but no relation.

Re: Worst Best Picture #152303
03/22/06 04:36 AM
03/22/06 04:36 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
'Love defating death?' Jack dies!
Jack's death is exactly where it is shown that love defeats death. He dies just in order to let her live. Live also for him, as he in fact asks her before dying. And Rose is in fact going to have a long, long and full life, always cherishing the memories of Jack. At the end, Rose and Jack will be reunited after Rose's death, as the touching scene with all the Titanic victims applauding shows us. Love defeating death is, btw, a very old concept since Greek myth and possibly earlier. A love that survives after one partner's death is definitely stronger than time and death itself. An inspiration for a huge amount of works of art in every age.

Quote:
The relationship would've never happened if you look at it realistically.
Trouble is you shoudn't look at it realistically, IMO. This way you'd lose all the magic. You look realistically at a documentary, not at a movie. A movie - as any other work of art - is the free creation of the human geniality, where there are not other rules but art itself, not a mathematic formula. I dare say, borrowing a Shakespeare's most famous quote, cinema (at least when it is not purposely "realistic" in a documentaristic sort)is "such stuff as dreams are made on".
Are dreams supposed to be realistic? No way.

Quote:
Rich, engaged woman falls in love with poor drifter? Uh, no.
well, she was very unhappy as well. Jack was poor but he was a real human being, with blood in his veins, "air in his lungs" and a genuine passion for life, not a stiff dummy. But then again, it that really important? Let yourself jump in the love story, savour every bit of it. Let your imagination freely flow through the scenes. You'll enjoy it to pieces.
Otherwise I surrender. Too bad for you! :p

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Worst Best Picture #152304
03/22/06 05:09 AM
03/22/06 05:09 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
The only thing I liked about Titanic was Rose's dress in the painting scene

Re: Worst Best Picture #152305
03/22/06 06:51 AM
03/22/06 06:51 AM
JustMe Offline
Underboss
JustMe  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:
The only thing I liked about Titanic was Rose's dress in the painting scene
To be sure so did I!

keep your mouth shut, and your eyes open.
Re: Worst Best Picture #152306
03/22/06 09:49 AM
03/22/06 09:49 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'm sorry, but there wasn't room on that door for poor Jack? Rose couldn't have moved her fat butt over a little? :p

Re: Worst Best Picture #152307
03/22/06 10:08 AM
03/22/06 10:08 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I'm sure there are many documentaries out there to document the tragedy of the Titanic disaster. But I see no need for Cameron to give me something more realistic than he did. The atmosphere of the ship was enough, and sufficiently achieved in my opinion. Take, for instance, the scene where the captain waits at his wheel for the water to come gushing in, or, during the same montage I believe, the old couple lying on the bed with the water flooding around them. Not once, during that montage, did I question if that actually happened; the feelings it conjured in me overrided that.

Like I said, I don't watch the film for a history lesson, nor does Cameron have any responsibility to give us one.

Re: Worst Best Picture #152308
03/22/06 10:17 AM
03/22/06 10:17 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Capo de La Cosa Nostra:
...the old couple lying on the bed with the water flooding around them. Not once, during that montage, did I question if that actually happened; the feelings it conjured in me overrided that...
Actually, that was based on a real life older couple who went down with the ship. Mrs. Strauss refused to leave her husband's side to get in a lifeboat. When a seat was offered to Mr. Strauss because of his age, he also refused to get in ahead of the other men. So...although it's unlikely they returned to their cabin bed to await the end like the two in this trash movie...the Strauss's is indeed one of the true life 'love' stories of the Titanic tragedy.

Incidentally, the Strauss's were the owners of Macy's Department store and quite wealthy.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Worst Best Picture #152309
03/22/06 10:29 AM
03/22/06 10:29 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Really? Cool. Thanks for the insightful info.

Though my point stands: that it didn't matter, and it still doesn't, whether or not that particularly happened. My emotions were not influenced in any way.

Perhaps I would feel differently, more involved, if I held more personal attachment or even historical interest in the voyage.

For now, I don't.

Re: Worst Best Picture #152310
03/22/06 11:47 AM
03/22/06 11:47 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Hi, Capo...as stated previously I agree with you that Cameron had no obligation to provide us with only historical facts, nor does any other filmmaker when making a movie based on a true story.

I'll also stand by my point though, that the fictional, fabricated, nonsensical, rich v. poor love story of Jack & Rose made it into a piece of trash.

So I guess in keeping with the original theme of the thread, Titanic gets my personal vote for the 'WORST Best Picture'.

Best,
AppleOnYa

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Worst Best Picture #152311
03/22/06 03:51 PM
03/22/06 03:51 PM
Underboss
Underboss
I remember hearing a similar morbidly amusing anecdote about the Titanic disaster. There was some businessman, who was known as a heavy sleeper, and they say that supposedly there were efforts to wake him up by pounding on his locked door while he was sleeping but to no avail, so he evidently slept through the whole thing and died. :rolleyes:

I dream in widescreen.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull